Ear Infection

Guest GreytMuse

Guest GreytMuse

Steven has an ear infection that the vet said was caught fairly early. He's on prednisone, simplecef and gent/dex/PG (gentamicin??) now and the vet wants him back mid-week to do an ear flush while he is under. Is flushing ears while under anesthesia a fairly standard procedure? Is it really necessary to put them out to do that??

Thanks from a worry-wart Grey mom...

Wow. First I've heard of that. With (bacterial) ear infections, we (at the vet clinic at which I work) usually clean the ears, give an antibiotic injection to jump start things and then send home with oral antibiotics, cleaning solution, and a topical antibiotic (Animax or Otomax).

Out of curiosity, I pulled out my Merck Veterinary Manual, and here is what it says regarding treatment:

"The ears should be gently cleaned and should be dry before treatment is started. In animals with painful ears, proper cleansing requires general anesthesia. The ears may be flushed with an antibacterial cleansing solution...."

So apparently for flushing, general anesthesia is needed.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Wow. First I've heard of that. With (bacterial) ear infections, we (at the vet clinic at which I work) usually clean the ears, give an antibiotic injection to jump start things and then send home with oral antibiotics, cleaning solution, and a topical antibiotic (Animax or Otomax).

Out of curiosity, I pulled out my Merck Veterinary Manual, and here is what it says regarding treatment:

"The ears should be gently cleaned and should be dry before treatment is started. In animals with painful ears, proper cleansing requires general anesthesia. The ears may be flushed with an antibacterial cleansing solution...."

So apparently for flushing, general anesthesia is needed.

:nod

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Look up gentamicin - probably don't want to be on that for too long - see side effects section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentamicin

My Arlie had chronic problems with an ear that had dirt down too deep to clean conventionally. We kept it under control until she needed anaesthetic for another reason - a dental - and then she had it flushed and suctioned.

Not suggesting you should wait - just agreeing it needs to be done under anaesthetic.

Guest EmilyAnne

A greyhound with an ear infection? Wow. You'd think with lack of fur and the ears not being floppy they'd be spared.

My Riley has had several, due to all the excessive fur, making his ears a breeding ground for infections. He has never been put under for an ear flushing.

He has had his ears cleaned, and I clean them myself very regularly. They said normally they dont want pet owners to do that for fear they will do it incorrecty and shove gunk down into their ears instead of swabbing it out. I had been taught the proper technique when I worked atthe animal shelter, so since they trusted me to clean the ears myself, this meant it coud be done daily, and I think that may have been the reason Riley was spared of being put under for an ear flushing? I do know they squirted tons of stuff in his ears and gave them a good cleaning. Not sure if that was an actual 'flushing' or something else. He stayed wide awake with no tranquilizers or anything.

Guest LynnM

The gentamicin she described is part of an ointment. It's safe to use for prolonged periods. When given as an injectable antibiotic, it's important to not give for more than a week unless there is simply NO other option.

Lynn

Yes, my Charlie had to have his ears flushed a couple of times under anaesthesia during an ear infection which was too painful to allow normal ear cleaning.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest CampWhippet

I'd avoid prolonged use of gentamicin in any drops put in the ear. I had a dog that was on it and I believe she lost her hearing in that ear and might have caused a vestibular problem, although the vet said she suffered a stroke. :dunno

Sebau my mix has always gotten ear infections. I'm very careful to constantly check her ears and keep them very clean, and it helps a great deal. She hasn't had an infection in a LONG time, but I check her ears constantly and clean when necessary (she also has hairy floppy ears, so I know that that type of ear can be more prone to infections,and it seems to be true with her.)

She has had them cleaned out by the vet before and she was not put under. She was NOT pleased, but did OK. Generally, for her ear infections the usual treatment was: clean out w/ antiseptic/antibacterial solution (this was more than just a squirt in the ear), shot of antibiotic, and oral antibiotics and/or ear drops.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel