Scooping Poop

Guest youngINlove

How Often...  

144 members have voted

1. 1. If your dogs use a back yard, how often do you scoop?

• once a week
    • multiple times each week
    • once a day
    • multiple times each day
    • none of the above...please explain

Guest youngINlove

I was just noticing some posts about dogs catching worms from their own poop if it is left outside for too long. I never really took the time to think about the consequences of leaving it outside. What are your opinions or knowledge on the subject?

mine tend to not want to poop in the yard except in dire emergencies at nite, they will pee there if they get the urge at night, but not during the daytime. they much prefer going at least out the courtyard gate before doing their business. however if they do do a doo doo i'll generally pick it up the next morning after it's cooled and is less smelly.

parasitic worms are alive and generally come from your dog eating something that has been contaminated with the eggs and larvae, they cannot exist long or reproduce outside their host. thus if they get worms from their own poop it means they were already harbouring a load of them. poop does not acquire worms spontaneously after it leaves the doggies. eating other animals infected poops can infect yours. some parasites can be picked up by walking in poop contaminated areas with bare feet or ingesting contaminated soil, so don't walk your children bare foot or let them eat dirt in areas where other dogs walk. some parasites can be transferred by insect bites.

poop will pick up fly and other insect larvae when left sitting, and attract slugs and possibly earth worms, but even tho disgusting, those larval 'worms' are not parasites & just add extra protein to the doggy diet ;) thus it is best picked up to avoid it becoming insect baby food.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

We don't have poop eaters or worms so I usually scoop about once a week. If we're having visitors or DH is cutting the grass I'll scoop right before then also. I don't usually go more than a week without scooping cause Chaos is a very clean dog and won't walk too close to poop - she does a big circle around it walking on her tippy toes. :D So if there's a lot it's hard to play fetch with her.

Guest TBSFlame
Pick up all poop immediately!

That's what I do as I have a couple of poop eaters. It is the best way to fix that, get it before they do. :lol

That's what I do as I have a couple of poop eaters. It is the best way to fix that, get it before they do. :lol

I have a poop eater too. GROSS! But, I got to vote twice in the poll! I'm not sure how it happened... :lol I try to pick up as soon as it happens, so multiple times per day to once a day.

We pick up poop everyday, sometimes we can not get it as soon as they go but we get it as soon as we get home from work and again at night.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest greytbookert

All poo is picked up immediately at our house. Sure, with 4 hounds it can be tricky but worth it, as we have a poop eater. Even if Eric didn't eat poop, we would pick up immediately.

Guest lotsagreys4me

I scoop twice a day and more if it is there to clean up. I hate looking out my windows and seeing piles of poop. ewwwwww.

Guest paulamariez

They poop, I scoop!! I actually have no choice in the matter because I have to walk them to do their business, being that I live in a condo. We do have a small backyard but there's no fencing so they must be walked and condo rules expect you to pick up immediately. In fact, I also pick up the poop of other dogs that I come across all the time, from the scofflaws that don't bother to pick up!! We have slippery neighbors from outside our subdivision that bring their dogs into our complex, then don't clean up after them when they do their business! It gets EXTREMELY aggravating, since dog walkers like myself, tend to get blamed because we are seen out there most often. I purposely carry around a LARGE pooper scooper so everyone knows that I clean up after my boys!

Guest MAXNAV

I pick up all poop immediately too. That way I know if some JERK in the neighborhood has let their dog crap on my lawn. I'm always worried about other dogs poop and parasites, etc. because a lot of people don't take care of their pets like like I do with regard to worm meds etc.. I use Interceptor year round to protect Navigator. I'm a worry wart....

I scoop many times a day. We have a sand turn out yard so its easy even with 13 dogs minimum

I never thought of sand. Good idea. 13? YIKES! I'm assuming these are all the dogs in your post? Hey....where'd you find the Irish Setter? (If that's what it is.) Beautiful dogs.

Guest tarzanmom

We still leash walk Tarzan 2x/day even though we have a backyard. He usually poops on our walk. If he does happen to poop in the backyard, we clean it up right away. The thought of walking though the yard and stepping in a pile and the smell....eeeewwwwwww....just grosses me out!

As soon as it hits the ground! B)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Wow, I feel a little negligent about my weekly scooping habit instead of picking it up right away! But then we had to pick up right away for years when we lived in an apartment building, so I figure this is one of the benefits of having a fenced yard.

Plus, having raw fed dogs there isn't really much poop to pick up and much less smell than when they were on kibble! And after a couple of days in the sun it turns white so it's easier to spot in the grass. :D

I scoop a couple of times a day. Two out of the three are raw fed so they don't have a lot of poop.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest DaffyToons

Talk about feeling negligent, I never scoop! I have about 1 acre fenced in, and have 3 dogs (2 greys, 1 lab mix). None of my dogs are poop eaters. No dirt eaters, either. I have them all tested every year for parasites and have never had a positive come up yet. And my lab mix does accompany me to the horse barn where she snacks on kittie krunchies. So far, so good! :goodluck

Guest MAXNAV
Talk about feeling negligent, I never scoop! I have about 1 acre fenced in, and have 3 dogs (2 greys, 1 lab mix). None of my dogs are poop eaters. No dirt eaters, either. I have them all tested every year for parasites and have never had a positive come up yet. And my lab mix does accompany me to the horse barn where she snacks on kittie krunchies. So far, so good! :goodluck

I have about 2 acres, but none is fenced in. It's not too bad to scoop, as I have to walk Navigator (and my collie before he passed). Plus, I have 2 kids that would be stepping in it and walking right through the house, if I didn't clean up. They're always outside playing and running. I also know when the jerky neighbors are walking their dogs on my property (why stupid people don't let them crap on their own lawns and not clean up I'll never know), and have had to tell them to clean their poop up. I'm in a subdivision, with nice properties, but STUPID pet owners. GRRR

Guest Greyhounds4ever

I voted once a week. I raw feed my dogs so any poop out there basically dries up and blows away anyway. Another positive for raw feeding! :yay