3 Dogs With Diarrhea

Over the weekend Fiona seemed listless and didn't want to eat her food. By Monday afternoon she had liquid diarrhea and just looked miserable. Our vet checked her over and found a slightly elevated temp (negative for Giardia - thank goodness) and placed her on Flagyl. We gave her boiled chicken and rice and she bounced back to normal quickly. Today she ate a more normal meal and has her pep back.

Weds. I noticed Zeke looking less than his usual self (although still eating) and yesterday (Thurs. afternoon & during the night) he had liquid diarrhea. This morning I placed him on boiled chicken & rice. Tasha also wouldn't eat anything this morning and has the diarrhea as well. She looks unhappy and ill.

As soon as the vet opens I'm bringing in a sample from Tasha and will see if she wants to put Zeke & Tasha on Flagyl as well. She might want to check over Tasha & Zeke so I'll take them in if necessary. Bailey, our lab, is completely untouched by whatever is passing between the dogs.

Has anyone had this experience? Tasha doesn't eat the same food as Fiona and Zeke so we know it isn't food related. Our vet found that Fiona's Clostridium count was elevated. I would like to prevent whatever is happening to them from occurring again if possible.

Thanks for your advice.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest KennelMom

Giardia can be really hard to find in a single stool sample...so one negative result isn't always definitive. It can spread pretty easily in a kennel or pack environment. Wouldn't hurt to have them all treated if your vet suspects giardia. There may be other causes, so it's definitely worth consulting your vet now that you have more than one dog with the Big D...I'm not really familiar with clostridium but I do believe some of those buggers can cause Big D in dogs and pass easily in a kennel/pack environment.

I just came back from the vets with medication for Zeke & Tasha. Tasha's stool sample was also negative to Giardia (they use the highly sensitive Snap test for this). Our vet feels from reviewing all the information that they have Coronavirus, most likely picked up in the ball field where we walk our dogs. There are many dogs that use this field and any one of them could have been shedding the virus. All the symptoms and the onset point to this diagnosis so they will be treated with Flagyl for 7 days (Fiona is now receiving this medication) and a couple of days of boiled chicken and rice. I'll keep an eye on Bailey for symptoms but so far he is fine. As Fiona has responded well, they should all be bouncing back soon. For now its treating the symptoms, rest their digestive systems and help them to be comfortable until they get over the virus.

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. It's good to have GreyTalk as a sounding board when worried about our little guys.

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

I've been where you are,, and it's not fun!!! It's so very frustrating to have one dog then the others all come down with the BIG D!!! I have been battling this for several months actually, where for 1 week in four, all of mine are hit with the dreaded Diarrhea!

i have moved, cut back all plants they might be chewing on.

i have added beet pulp to their daily routine

i have added acidophiles to their supplements

i have tried to change their food

i have disinfected EVERYTHING that is in there reach.

i have had them all tested numerous times, usually negative (once giardia), we walk out with Metronidozol prescription and for the most part everyone is good in a couple days and we start the whole process over again!!!

it takes is toll on my poor babies, and my carpets not to mention the vet bill and the loss of sleep trying to run everyone out the door in time! Mostly my old doggies,, 14 and 13 yrs, they really loose so much life during the week of sickness.

i wish i could figure this out myself... sorry to high jack your thread, guess i should have put this in a rant/soap box.

I hope your babies get better quickly and get rid of the bug once and for all!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

3DogNite - I know exactly how you feel. Our Hobbes was diagnosed last summer with a severe case of Giardia. It eventually spread to some of the other dogs. We spent all fall 2007 and into March of this year treating every single dog in 6-8 week cycles and then testing them all for Giardia. There was always one with a borderline reading so everyone got treated. Over and Over again. Finally in March all tested clear of the Giardia, including Hobbes. We had a celebration. The daily outside cleanup was hard not to mention keeping things in the house disinfected as best we could. (I won't even mention the carpets - a nightmare). When this bout of diarrhea started I was so worried that we were in for another round of "beat the Giardia".

Hope your babies are well again soon. It is not easy watching our pups feeling ill.