Missing Black Cover Of Nose

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Just arrived home and let Coach out. After taking a pit stop and giving her some water, I then noticed there was a dime sized hunk of her black nose covering gone. She's just got a pink spot with a little red streak running up the side. If someone would be willing to post it for me, I could e-mail a pic to you. (I currently don't have a website I can post on and then link to - that's my next project.) I can only assume either this morning after I left for work and before DH crated her, while in her crate or during the 2 minutes after I uncrated her before I discovered it, she scraped it across something.

Anyone else have experience with loss of nose covering?

These dogs are going to send me to the looney bin!

Tara Coach and Cougar

I can't pm you. You can mail it to and I'll post the pic.

Edited by JedsMom

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

And taking a good look at Cougar's nose, it appears Coach's missing spot is where Cougar has really short dark hair more so than the slick stuff that gets wet and cold.

Thanks for letting me e-mail the picture.

Tara Coach and Cougar

post-39-1214523031_thumb.jpg

Ouch!

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

Looks like what you described - she's rubbed or scrapped it raw, maybe on the wire crate door. Poor little mite! This one would be a good candidate for Neosporin cream if it's bothering her, though I'd try to rub it in a bit so she doesn't lick it off. If it's not bothering her I wouldn't worry about it so much. It probably looks worse to you than it feels to her.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest TaraCoachCougar

I'm thinking surely I would have seen it when I put water down for her. She was waiting right there and starting drinking as soon as I set it down. I'm almost convinced it happened right after that when I took a personal potty break. She could have quickly went to the crate to look for crumbs and pulled her nose back too close to the door parts.

I've never noticed how far that dip in the nose is. I guess because the hair is (was for Coach) so dark that it just blends in with the slick nose part. Coach has had a white face for about 8 years now and Cougar's really went white only about 4 years ago.

Chloe has something similar, vet said it was trauma such as what was mentioned above. YES! It's always something!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest jurishound

This happened to Cuffy too - we treated it with an antibacterial ointment and it took a while, but now his nose is back to normal. So - not to worry!

IMG_0511.jpg

(I'm protecting his eyes from the flash)

Guest Smiley

Sometimes when it storms or Smiley seems stressed, he'll do this strange nose rubbing thing on the carpet-almost as if he's trying to dig with his nose. Inevitably he ends up with a scraped, bleeding nose like your baby's. We haven't figured out the why of it or how to stop it :blink: , we just moisturize it as best as he'll let us. It will heal eventually. Hugs to your baby!

We've gotten little nips like that from wearing muzzles. Orion's nose is healing from a tiny one right now.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest GretaDad

Greta did this to her nose after I started raw feeding them. It took a while to discover that when she ate outside, or on something soft like her bed, she would rub the top of her nose on the ground trying to dig a hole.

The fix in her case was to limit her eating to hard surfaces like the kitchen and it healed up. At first it was a white spot, but then it blackened up again and now it looks normal with no scarring.

greta_nose.jpg

gf_close_up_01_db.jpg

gf_noses_03.jpg

Greta is on the left.