Rickie Is Limping - Stubborn Infection

My whippet Rickie is limping on his right foreleg. This started about 3 weeks ago and has not stopped since. At the time this started he had a dental booked at a specialty clinic (I was expecting a fractured tooth to result in an extraction) I asked the orthopedic surgeon there to have a look at the leg.

They did a physical exam and xrayed from shoulder to toes. Nothing except a little arthritis (Rickie is 10) - recommended continuing with the Flexadin supplement and giving Metacam when needed.

That night a sebaceous cyst on his lower leg (about half way between the carpus and the toes) looked inflamed. I thought perhaps as a result of the examination.

Next morning, the entire area from the carpus to the toes was huge, and the cyst protruded from the swelling. I called, they said bring him back.

They did a needle aspirate of the cyst, examined the material and determined it contained bacteria. Sent a sample out for culture, and kept him overnight on IV antibiotics. Sent him home the next day with 3 weeks of Cephalexin, 375mg every 8h, and tramadol. The subsequent results of the culture did not suggest a change in antibiotic.

We are now 2 weeks into the antibiotics. The swelling is down, the limp has continued.

Two nights ago when I was examining the foot, I noticed a pin-sized yellow scab. Scraped it off, and a bit of what I assume is pus came out. Figured this was not a good thing, and expressed the rest, or what I hope was the rest, until only blood came out. As a result the immediate area is now a bit swollen again, but otherwise shows no sign of additional gunk.

It surprised me that this would happen 2 weeks into the antibiotics, but someone told me that if the infection had formed a pocket, antibiotics were not good at penetrating that. I will start applying warm compresses to see if it draws anything up. If the problem still exists when we go back for a recheck next week, the area may need to be lanced, flushed and drained.

Here is my question (finally): why is Rickie still limping? Even the holistic vet who examined him yesterday was surprised the infected cyst would cause a limp, and no one can find anything else wrong. They've even checked his pads under magnification, squeezed them for sensitivity, etc. Nada.

My concern is that somehow we are missing something. Or, perhaps it really is the cyst?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would greatly appreciate them. Sorry this is so long.

ETA: The limp has never stopped, i.e., expressing the cyst 2 days ago did not cause the limp to return - it has been unchanged since the start.

Edited by Rickiesmom

I'm sorry, I don't have any thoughts or help to offer but I wanted to send Rickie a big hug. Get better soon cutie!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Two nights ago when I was examining the foot, I noticed a pin-sized yellow scab. Scraped it off, and a bit of what I assume is pus came out. Figured this was not a good thing, and expressed the rest, or what I hope was the rest, until only blood came out. As a result the immediate area is now a bit swollen again, but otherwise shows no sign of additional gunk.

If he's still limping, and he's limping on that foot, I wouldn't be surprised. Could still be something in there, and even if not I wouldn't be surprised if it took another couple days for it to feel 99% better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a recheck on Thursday. Swelling down, limp worse. Surgeon didn't seem as surprised about this as I was.

We are to continue the antibiotics for 2 weeks more, along with Metacam. Tramadol as needed.

In two weeks they will xray the leg. Apparently it will take that long for the infection to show up in the bone, if that is what's going on. Should that be the case, then the next steps will depend on how deep the infection goes - if superficial the treatment continues to be antibiotics, though not as now - I have forgotten the details. If it's deep, then they will have to surgically remove the bone and do a graft. Not, at present, the expected outcome, thank goodness.

The culture they did at the beginning revealed 2 types of bacteria, one common (forget its name) the other less common, so I wrote it down - corynebacterium. I didn't find much I could understand when I googled this, except that it sounds like this is one of the bacteria found in dogs that have parvo.

Don't know what to make of that, not sure it's even relevant here, but very glad Rickie is up to date on his shots.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

I am sorry to hear this and really can't offer any words of wisdom other than I have been through the limps on EVRY one of my hounds, some as long as 6 weeks at a time.

It's really a wait and see at this point. I hope he is not too much discomfort and prayers that it passes.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project