Strange Loose Stools

Hi all,

Ginger, my grey, has had her bouts with loose stools. Last Thursday, I discovered her drinking some vey stagnant water from a fountain (she seems to like nasy water). Up until then I had been feeding her the Science Hill Adult formula with water packed tuna. She loved that mixture and it was keeping her poop firm. Then this past weekend the poop started to become runny, and she didn't want her food anymore, only snacks. I changed her food mixture to the same kibble but added boiled chicken breast and carrots. She loved that and it kind of worked but the poop yesterday kind of looked like it came out in some kind of clear bubble-like water substance. I've never seen this in any dog in all my years. Today, she woke me up in the middle of the night and had the runs and she did again this morning. I will probably take her to the vet but any ideas in the meanwhile?

Thanks.

Muriel

One of our girlies started suddenly with diarrhea last week, she was out every two hours. Went to the vet to find she has hooks. We treated for them with a follow up treatment in two weeks, an antibiotic for a slight infection in the intestine from them, and also treating our other girlie assuming she already has, or will get them too as they are easily shared.

Better to be safe than sorry, see the vet. Dehydration is also a worry with diarrhea.

Hi all,

Ginger, my grey, has had her bouts with loose stools. Last Thursday, I discovered her drinking some vey stagnant water from a fountain (she seems to like nasy water). Up until then I had been feeding her the Science Hill Adult formula with water packed tuna. She loved that mixture and it was keeping her poop firm. Then this past weekend the poop started to become runny, and she didn't want her food anymore, only snacks. I changed her food mixture to the same kibble but added boiled chicken breast and carrots. She loved that and it kind of worked but the poop yesterday kind of looked like it came out in some kind of clear bubble-like water substance. I've never seen this in any dog in all my years. Today, she woke me up in the middle of the night and had the runs and she did again this morning. I will probably take her to the vet but any ideas in the meanwhile?

Thanks.

Muriel

Yuck! Sounds like she got something nasty in the water. Maybe giardia, though hard to say. If it turns out you don't find anything definitive, it might still be giardia, 'cause it's hard to test for. Good luck!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Hey Muriel, Poor Ginger! I also think it sounds like she may have a bit of an intestinal bug. Have to agree with Xan on this one. Call me if you need anything....

Leslie

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Hi Leslie

Thanks for your support. It's good to hear from you.

Just thought you should know, that Dr. Laura Bailey is no longer with VCA Cabrera Animal Clinic. Any ideas on any other vets in the area? The new vet was not familiar with greyound issues.

Guest Cris_M

I'm with Xan on this one -- it does sound like it could be Giardia. One thing to be warned about with Giardia is that it only shows up when the organism is shedding. If it doesn't show up at the vets (and the vet doesn't find something else wrong), you will need stool samples from several consecutive days to rule it out.

Hope your girl is better soon.

Guest greyladydown

Giardia is common in stagnant water (also in bird droppings), so I'm willing to bet that's the problem. A course of Panacur, or Metronidazole will take care of it quickly.

Last year my crew kept drinking out of the (dirty) birdbath. All got the runs. All went to the vet. Yup, ickies in the water did it. NO more birdbath here!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Cris_M

Ooops, forgot to add that, until you rule out Giarida, do NOT touch Ginger's stools without thoroughly washing your hands immediately. Giardia is highly transmissible to humans.

Guest Heath_Bar

I've only had Heath for 2months now, but just over a week ago we started having the same problems (also feeding Science Diet adult). Luckily our issue was diarrhea at the normal times he'd poop, not during the day while I was at work or at night, and he was drinking plenty of water. We went on a course of Metronidazole and some Purina EN and that's seemed to work. I'm slowly transitioning him back to the kibble and although we're still fairly firm, we're not back to normal. I've heard of three other dogs in the 'hood that have had GI issues within the past week, not sure what the coincidence is. He never really had firm poop on the Science Diet, and I'm having to feed him far more than I want to keep weight on, so I'm thinking about changing food once this bag runs out in a week or two.

I might try white rice/chicken for a day or two as long as the diarrhea isn't bloody or show any other signs of serious issues - if things get better it could be a bug, if things stay worse for too long I'd just go to the vet and make sure things are A-OK.