Tail Injury

Guest Frannie

Guest Frannie

I closed my front door on Mable's tail last week - something I vowed never to do. I've been so painstaking. I feel absolutely terrible. Mable's a very shy girl who has come a long way, but the sound of clouds passing overhead still terrifies her. (Not really, but you get the picture...) So this has really done a number on her.

Her beautiful white tipped tail is fractured at the end and badly lacerated. My vet is doing everything possible to save it, and I will be heartbroken if the last 2 inches have to be amputated.

We have to go in for bandage change and wound check every five days, more frequently if she gets it wet or it comes loose, and it's costing me about $72 (!) each time (I do have pet insurance, but I doubt that this will be covered). I'm going to try a condom over the bandage when it's raining. I can't think of anything else!

I know this is a common accident that owners have with their greys. Any helpful hints on speeding the healing and helping Mable recover her sweet little soul?

Thanks,

Frannie

So sorry this happened!! Hopefully they can save the tail.

I'm always afraid I'll do this to my cats!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Oh geez... I'm sorry this happened! Lots of folks (including me) have dealt with "happy tail" healing. Do a GT search for happy tail and you'll get lots of tips for how to do the bandage changes and such at home. Shouldn't need to go to the vet for that once the stitches/staples are out. Prayers for steady and quick healing. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest Frannie

Thanks! I just did the search. I'm going to be cautious and take Mable's injury seriously. I know it's a lot of money, but it sounds like I really have no business fooling around with it at home.

Oh geez... I'm sorry this happened! Lots of folks (including me) have dealt with "happy tail" healing. Do a GT search for happy tail and you'll get lots of tips for how to do the bandage changes and such at home. Shouldn't need to go to the vet for that once the stitches/staples are out. Prayers for steady and quick healing. :hope

I've been through a tail trimming myself, and I can tell you that when it was over and healed I KICKED myself for not doing it sooner.

It was a 16 week nightmare trying to get my last dog's major "happy tail" to heal. When he needed major surgery for his leg anyway, the vet removed the badly damaged tip of his tail, and used the extra skin to cover the end (giving it a double thickness).

Best thing that even happened for that sweet dog! He didn't miss it, and once the fur grew back you never would have known.

I'm sorry for your girl's pain, but my experience was that all the efford and bandaging and visits to the vet were much more difficult for my dog than the "trim." Which sounds better than "partial amputation."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Enna

Could you ask the vet to show you how to bandage and what to look for so you can do some of the wound care at home? Or, could you switch from a vet visit to a tech visit for at least every other bandage change, which should save you a little money?