Heart Tumor

Guest AussieWilma

Guest AussieWilma

We're being cautiously optimistic - but it seems that the combination of drugs Miss Wilma is on are working their magic on many of her symptoms. She is eating, peeing and pooping well and this morning we went for a slow walk to our local Starbucks (our usual early morning routine) for coffee. She met her husky pal Misty and got lots of love from the regulars who had been been worrying about her this past week too. Gavin then picked us up as we thought the walk back would be pushing it just a bit too much!

We had a checkup with Dr Miller on Friday and Wilma's albumin levels had improved to 1.7 (up from 1.4) which is good news - her blood pressure was good too. Her creatinine levels though have worsened. Her swelling has gone down a lot and she is certainly more comfortable and happy now she is at home - on her beds! She has another checkup on Monday afternoon so we'll see how she goes then.

As I write up this post Miss Wilma has gotten up off her bed, walked over to 'her' couch looking longingly at it, so I moved the cushions - up she hopped - and is now lying there with her head on one of the cushions - she is such a princess!!

She is putting up with her twice daily hydrotherapy in the spa bath (she is not fond of water) and getting lots of love from visitors. We know we're not out of the woods - there's still underlying things to be dealt with - but it is so hard not to get really excited about her progress - we have to keep reminding ourselves - it's still one day at a time.

Will keep you updated and if I can work out how to do it - post some pictures of our pretty girl - and yes - we are definitely biased!!!

Natalie, Gavin & Miss Wilma

Edited by AussieWilma

Sending more prayers and warm white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest AussieWilma

My apologies for not updating sooner - we seem to be having some improvement. Our girl was back at Dr Miller's yesterday afternoon for her follow-up from Friday and great news with the creatinine and albumin levels are back within the normal range - YEAH!!!!!

She has protein in her unrinalysis and that has been sent off for additional testing - so we should no more later this week. One day at a time...

Wilma has had lots of visitors - and we had a really lovely experience with her 'best grey friend' Brenda. Brenda is younger than Wilma and much more active - but when she came to visit - she did the normal meet and greet with Wilma then went and really sniffed everywhere that Wilma had canulas in (each leg!) / had been shaved. Brenda was then standing on the end of Wilma's bed really sooking and we couldn't work out what was wrong - then we figured she wanted to be near Wilma - so we dragged the other bed over - and she lay down right beside her - chokes you up a bit...

So Wilma is resting a lot, eating okay (she's a little girl anyway - but is now down to 51.5lb - from 55lb - so we're looking for some improvement in that area too!) and suffering all the tablets - she is the spit it out champion!

Investigating the hear tumor hasn't been forgotten - it's just the priority has been to deal with her other 'issues' first.

Thank-you for keeping us in your thoughts - it sure has been a long week and I think we all got our first night of full sleep last night.

Regards,

Natalie, Gavin & Wilma

Guest myjazzy

Natalie,

I'm so glad Miss Wilma is improving. :yay I keep thinking about her and we all send her our best wishes for continued improvement. She's such a lovely lady. :heart

Maria

Keep strong! Thank you for the update........... HUGS WILMA!!!!

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

I'm so glad to hear she is having good days :wub:

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AussieWilma

We haven't posted for a while as we've been stuck on the roller-coaster - but thought we had better give an update as Miss Wilma got some :) really exciting news yesterday!! :)

Wilma had her cardiology appointment yesterday at the Small Animal Clinic at Texas A & M - and guess what - they couldn't find any trace of the tumor identified when she was in hospital. A very big thank-you to everyone who has had our Wilma (and us!) in your thoughts and prayers- we'd like to think it has worked!

There are still some issues to deal with - GI, kidney, liver - but we seem to have stablized quite a lot and at the moment we're doing okay.

The following outlines the ride we've been on since the last update:

SATURDAY 14 June update: We're having our ups and downs - but Miss Wilma is still continuing her recovery. Apologies for the delay in updating and I'm sorry if that has caused any undue worry...

Wilma was back to see Dr Miller on Tuesday as I needed to get more prednisone (steroids) and she had been having some trouble with her back legs, was being especially fussy with her food and had a really gurgly stomach. While I was waiting I weighed her and was quite concerned that her weight had dropped to 49.6lbs - so of course I started thinking the worst.

Dr Miller checked her and redid all of her blood-work. Her creatinine and albumin levels are still fine - which is really good news. She is on another round of antibiotics and to deal with whatever residual gastro intestinal issues she's having - and another medication to have one hour before all of her other medications.

She is eating but being really fussy. Yesterday chicken necks were a big hit, but today she turned her nose up at them. It's a bit like being a short order cook!

I was back at Dr Miller's on Thursday night to pick up the rest of her tablets and weighed her again and she had put on 7oz (nearly half a pound) so that is good news!

She is still walking down to Starbucks with me in the morning and as Gavin is in Canada this week - we drink our coffee there and then walk back home - Gavin had been driving down to pick us up. She's slower on the return journey - but still doing well!

Anyway - it's still one day at a time - and I'm trying really hard not to get too frustrated when she isn't interested in the food we're offering her...

TUESDAY 24 June update: I should have known that things were going too well!! On Saturday afternoon I took Wilma out to Bones2Go (where we get most of her food from) as she'd really enjoyed some chicken necks on Friday and while we were there Tracy and her daughters tried almost every thing they had to see if we could find anything Wilma really wanted to eat...no luck except with their own beef jerky that the girls had been eating. After about an hour, we had to go and on the way out Wilma was sick twice and it was the undigested chicken necks from Friday.

So it was back to Wilma's other home - VERGI - where Wilma weighed in at 47.4lbs - a decrease of 2lbs which wasn't good. Seems that the antacids were doing too good a job and now she had no stomach acid so wasn't able to digest anything. So we stopped 2 of the antacid meds and any tramadol - she's now on Pepcid AC, Prednisone, Enalapril and a tablet for intestinal motility.

I then started syringe feeding her to get in some calories and nutrition (luckily she is a good patient and put up with it!). Did that until Tuesday PM. I started supplementing with cooked chicken and when she started eating it off the plate herself I thought things were looking up.

Tuesday PM I thought I'd try some of her normal food for dinner and she ate it!!! So now she is on her normal dinner food supplemented by chicken /beef with rice/sweet potato. No more syringe feeding which she is happy about!

Thursday 19 June: Wilma was back at Dr Miller's for a check up and weighed in at 49.2lbs which was really good. Her blood work is still good, still has protein in her urine and one of her liver function tests is high (which could be the prednisone).

With Wilma's appetite returning and her blood-work is stable we agreed that we needed to start to tackle everything else. First is her heart and the mass because it's prognosis will determine any course of action we may take with the kidneys/liver. Wilma is scheduled to see a Cardiologist at the A&M Small Animal Clinic.

TUESDAY 24 June update 2: Report is back from Cardiologist and no evidence of tumor or mass in heart.

We've still got a way to go...but at least now it feels like we are making some real progress towards firm diagnoses.

Again, thank-you for your continued caring and support.

wow, that is a roller coaster! I am so glad to hear the good news about Wilma's heart :thumbs-up I hope her appetite continues to improve. My old girl eats pretty well most of the time, but there are days when nothing she previously liked is accepted :rolleyes:

Just seeing this for the 1st time. WOW, you have all been through a lot. Continued prayers and good wishes for Wilma and hugs for you.

I know how frustrating it is to try and get a dog to eat that doesn't want to. I hope that continues to improve.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Continued bes wishes for a speedy recovery

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

My continued prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest LadyChester

I missed all of this previously ... good heavens! You and Wilma have certainly been through the mill. Sending lots of positive thoughts for continued improvement with your gal :grouphug