Greyhound With A Cold

Guest RMHounds

Guest Rexation

I am looking for advice or a home remedy for a greyhound with a cold :( , (and some sympathy for me). Rex has a VERY runny nose, sneezing, and coughing. He is lethargic and irritable. The nose is constantly dripping like a leaky faucet. We have seen the vet and his temperature is fine and it is not kennel cough. There is nothing she could suggest for him. The mucus is clear when wet but dries light orange/pink and sticky. At this point I am cleaning the floors, walls and furniture 2x per day because everything is covered in boogies :blink: . The odd thing is, he gets this every 6 months or so in the spring and fall and this lasts about a week and a half. I can’t think of anything out of the ordinary he has done recently to bring this on. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this and can recommend remedies to calm the symptoms, or cleaning products. Thank you, Angie.

Guest snowberry

Sounds a lot like hay fever! Has your vet tried anti-histamines, to see if that makes any difference? I've also heard of someone with a whippet with sinus problems, and she gave him a garlic capsule every day and it cleared up. Not something I've tried myself, but might work? Good luck anyway :colgate

I bet it is also seasonal allergies. My Jazz has them and we give her Benadryl per the vets instructions. It sounds like the same thing. I hope he feels better real soon.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest greytkidsmom
The odd thing is, he gets this every 6 months or so in the spring and fall and this lasts about a week and a half.

Sounds suspiciously like allergies...

Sounds like seasonal allergies. Give him 50mg. of Benedryl and see if that help. If it does, I'd keep him on it throughout the spring and summer to give him some relief.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I would also try the Benadryl. I have always been told that dogs don't get colds. I have an allergy boy and I keep him on Benadryl every 6 hours, especially now with the heat and the winds.My vet suggested 25mg every 6 hours. Might be worth a try.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Raisin had something like this a few years ago, and, yes, I remember constantly scrubbing up green boogers. At one point, when we were on a walk, I looked down and there was literally a foot and half long booger trailing out her nose.

Now that I've sufficiently grossed you out....she had to go on Cephalexin for 14 days to clear this up. I'm not "pro" antibiotics, but in this instance, vet did not offer them to you at all?? Hmmm.....

I have no idea why some dogs "catch a cold". She's pretty much been the first one that it has happened to and just like yours, it was NOT kennel cough.

Keep your pups tummy coated with bread or maybe Pepcid while this is going on, I would like to suggest, because the mucus can blunt their appetite and cause them to drop weight quickly.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest Rexation

I also thought dogs don’t get colds, and none of the dogs I previously owned ever had runny noses like this. On your advice I gave my 75lb sickly love bug 75mg of Benadryl aprox. 2 hours ago. He is out for the count but the pool of boogies continues. It may not be allergies after all. It looks like I need to call a plumber to fix his leaky nose. At least with the medication he can get some sleep because before he was restless and agitated all night.

BTW the vet said if the boogies turn green or yellow to come back for antibiotics. But they are clear and watery so she could not offer me anything but time.

Edited by Rexation

75mg of Benadryl?? That's an awful lot of Benadryl.When I wanted to increase Wayne's Benadryl and he's 75lbs, my vet said 25mg every 6 hours and no more than that. I know it's an over the counter drug, but please be careful.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest Rexation
Just wondering how Rex is doing?

Thank you for asking. I have continued to give him Benadryl overnight and this morning increasing the dosage slightly to see if that helps (the recommended effective dose for dogs with allergies, believe it or not, is 1-2 mg/1 lb). He is not creating large puddles of boogies, and the rate of nose drip has slowed down. But he is still creating a lot of “snart” on walls, furniture, and floors :blink: . He is a little more lethargic and looking for extra attention. But this mama’s boy is well looked after with lots of loving and ice cream treats.

Just wondering how Rex is doing?

Thank you for asking. I have continued to give him Benadryl overnight and this morning increasing the dosage slightly to see if that helps (the recommended effective dose for dogs with allergies, believe it or not, is 1-2 mg/1 lb). He is not creating large puddles of boogies, and the rate of nose drip has slowed down. But he is still creating a lot of “snart” on walls, furniture, and floors :blink: . He is a little more lethargic and looking for extra attention. But this mama’s boy is well looked after with lots of loving and ice cream treats.

Oh I'm glad he's doing better. And I bet that ice cream helps a lot!! My guys feel that ice cream is a healer in itself :lol

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest nuthatch46201

Milk products increase mucus production. I found that out online when I had a cold. At least it does in humans. Also wheat citrus and bananas. Fruit ices would be better. Or just crushed ice. Put some canned broth into a freezer tray (I think they still make those) and give those to him as a treat, crushed.

Guest SusanP

Might be worth seeing a different vet? I'm surprised seasonal allergies weren't discussed at the vet appt, but if it's *not* seasonal allergies, it sounds rather extreme.

As a seasonal allergy sufferer myself, I can say that antihistimines only help so much.

Guest Rexation

I am not confident in her assessment of his condition. Especially because I went to see her about this on more than one occasion and allergies never came up as a possibility. His lungs and mucus are clear so I was told to ride it out. Not easy when you have a long snout that drips like a tap. Thank you for the advice on dairy products.

Milk products increase mucus production. I found that out online when I had a cold. At least it does in humans. Also wheat citrus and bananas. Fruit ices would be better. Or just crushed ice. Put some canned broth into a freezer tray (I think they still make those) and give those to him as a treat, crushed.

We have strawberry Popsicles as treats, but he does get yogurt with his glucosamine supplement.

Guest Rexation

A little update on runny noses in dogs. Apparently dogs do get viral respiratory infections (common cold) :huh , and the nose will be runny and clear. There is no treatment for that. Bacterial infections (green-yellow discharge) are treated with antibiotics. Also, allergy symptoms in dogs do not manifest themselves in the form of runny noses but itchy skin. Here is a link to an interesting article written by a veterinarian:

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting...Character_snots

Benadrly did nothing for Rex other than make him drowsy, so we stopped using it. I guess the best remedy for a runny nose in dogs is chicken soup, warm blanket and lots of ear snitches.

Guest paulamariez

I'm glad to hear that Rex is improving. Having had 6 dogs throughout the years, I've never experienced a cold with any of my hounds either. Bueller has a very drippy nose all of the time, more so when he gets excited like going for a car ride, but that's about it. Yet from what I understand, dog allergies usually come out as a skin ailment. (which is what Tiger gets) But if the Benedryl is helping, maybe they can have nasal allergies. For poor sweet Rex's sake, whatever it is, I hope it goes away soon! Keeping your baby Rex in my prayers for a quick recovery! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending healing doggie kisses as well.

Good that your vet was correct after all. :D

Thanks for the info that dogs do get colds. I didn't realize that and we've had dogs for decades!

Marcia