Antibiotic Causing Tummy Upset?

After Polli's dental, the vet gave her 2 weeks worth of Metronidazole 250 mg 1 pill 2x a day and Clavamox 375 mg 2 1 pill 2 x a day. Her gums were inflammed.

Could these pills be upsetting her tummy?

We have given pepcid, but her eating is off. Her last good meal was Wednesday night, then she had nothing to eat after midnight. She tried to eat on Thursday night but just picked a few bites. I chaulked that up to anethesia. Friday, she ate about 1/2 of what she normally eats and the same with tonight.

Think the antibiotics are upsetting her? I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and she what she suggests.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Diane- the "combinaton" of the 2 that Polli are now on? I

If so, any ideas of what I might suggest to the vet? Her poops are runny and yellow (DH just told me he did poop pickup today, they are not formed.)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest HeatherDemps

Yes. My grey Dempsey is on Clavamos for a UTI. The big D started after only one pill.... Same thing when he had a UTI a couple of months ago...

Unfortunately, she won't eat yogurt.

She eats: Kibble, chicken, tripe and purina one wet food.

Milk bones, nutro cookies, dried chicken tenders and zukes cookies. THAT IS THE COMPLETE extent of her diet!!!! She will not touch anything else. Nothing.

My others diet is similar BUT they would LOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVE to have chicken or any human food. We only give Polli the chicken becasue sometimes that is the only way to get her to eat. She is my "problem" eater.

Is there a antibiotic that works that doesn't cause sensitive tummys to react?

They make erythromycin with an enteric coating, but my Vet says that a dogs digestive system cannot breakdown the enteric coating like we do. Best to let the Vet see if there is another abx that can help. Certain atibiotics work on certain bugs, so she would have to match up the right drug.............

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest momto5greys

Try chicken and rice. The rice will firm up the poop. Stay away from dairy products as the calcium in the dairy binds up the antibiotic and it won't do it's job. That info I got from our pharmacist.

Guest greytmonty

The other thing you can do is ask your vet for a med to treat the tummy upset before each antibiotic pill. when Monty had staph last year and was on 6 antibiotics in a row for months, he had to take a tummy med 1/2 hr before his antibiotics, and it really helped. We used Metaclopramide (sp?) which is human Reglan. It helped him with his nausea and upset stomach a lot.

I, too, encourage giving yogurt to dogs and humans on antibiotics. BUT, if they won't eat it, try give acidolphus tablets. Available in the nutritional supplements aisle at any pharmacy. Works really well to re-establish beneficial bacteria in the gut.

Lois

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

Vet said to stop the Clavamox 375 mg, however keep her on the Metronidazole 250. Hope it works!

Yup, Merlin was on Clavamox last week after his dental and his poops were NOT nice. No shape to them, too lose, very light-colored.

Try chicken and rice. The rice will firm up the poop. Stay away from dairy products as the calcium in the dairy binds up the antibiotic and it won't do it's job. That info I got from our pharmacist.

I heard that it was the other way round... you should give a probiotic supplement one hour or more after an antibiotic dose, otherwise the antibiotic can render the probiotic ineffective. However, probiotics will not render antibiotics ineffective. I'm not an expert - just throwing that out there.

I spoke to my vet the other day about yogurt and she is not a fan. Apparently she thinks probiotic supplements actually work but that regular yogurt doesn't. :blink: I know many people on GT use it with good results, so I was a bit surprised to hear that.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Some of us can take very few antibiotics w/o getting sick. For example so far, the only ones that don't bother me too much are doxy and metronidizole. So, yep, antibiotics can be a problem for some of us, human and canine alike.

My vet friend in CT firmly believes in Culturelle. I've found it works most of the time for antibiotic-caused diarrhea. Yes, ya gotta be careful about when to give the pre and probiotics. I usually try to give them 2-3 hours before or after an antibiotic. Can't always do that with work schedules and all, but it's good to try for it.

Marcia in SC