Belle Goes In For Blood Work Thursday

Belle's last seizure was April 15 and so far no seizures. They have her on 1 grain Phenobarbital 2 x day and they will be doing blood work on Thursday. How often should it be done? They said it had to be done 6 hours after the dose so they have scheduled it for 3 pm we usually dose her around 10 am.

Edited by 6greyhounds

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Are you having the phenobarbital level tested? I generally do that every 6 months and more often if things aren't going well. That's what my vet is comfortable with.

For dogs taking phenobarbital the other thing that you should consider having tested at least every 6 months is liver function. This is a good idea because in some dogs, sometimes, Pb can cause liver damage. If caught early the meds can be adjusted or changed before the liver damage becomes a health crisis. Liver function can be tested via either a serum bile acids test or a urine bile acids test (newer and less trouble). My vet prefers serum bile acids testing. It involves drawing blood before eating and then 2 hours after eating.

By the way, congratulation on having no seizures since April 15!

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.