A New Limp

OK, please bear with me while I give a little history.

Argos is on 1 pill daily of Dasuquin (900mg of glucosomine + 350mg of chondroitin) for arthritis in his right front leg. No limping at all since we started this, back in January.

Last Wednesday (10 days ago), he had a dental & an aural hematoma fixed and when they removed the IV from his left front leg, his skin tore. It's a small wound, only about 1/2 inch long and hasn't been bothering him at all.

This past Wednesday, a guy was running a remote controlled car at the dog park. He does this every once in a while and all the dogs love to chase it, especially Argos. Actually, it seems as if Argos can't help himself but chase it. It was warm on Wednesday (not hot), but I let him chase the car until it looked like he was tiring out (about 10-15 minutes), then he had a nice drink and rested for about 10-15 minutes. No limping. Then he wanted to chase the car again, and I only let him do it for about 3-5 minutes, then took him home.

On Thursday morning he didn't show any signs of discomfort, but my husband walked him so he may not have noticed. On Thursday afternoon, I noticed that he was favoring his left front leg mildly. I did a short walk and did not let him run with the other dogs at the dog park. This morning, when he first got up, he was really, really favoring the leg. No walk, because it was raining, but the limp faded the longer he was up and walking around, until it wasn't even noticeable by the time I left for work. I went home at lunch and he didn't even want to go out. Finally did, but was definitely favoring the leg.

Any ideas on what it could be? He runs a lot (at least 3-4 times per week, as fast as he wants) and is in great shape, so I don't think he overdid it chasing the car.

Could he have pulled a muscle? Strain or sprain? Stress fracture? When I palpate his leg, he doesn't react at all, and I can't see anything except the IV wound.

Should I go to the vet right now or give it a couple of days and see what happens? My vet is off today & tomorrow and is back in on Sunday, but there are other vets at the practice if need be. Is there any home remedy I can try while I wait to see how it works out, like baby aspirin or a hot soak?

Help! Thanks!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

The fact that it's more painful when he gets up in the morning lends itself to a muscle injury or worsening arthritis rather than a bone issue. I personally would rest him (potty walks only and if he's active inside, crate or baby-gate when you can't supervise) and put him on aspirin and see how he is by Monday. Aspirin must be buffered, one adult (325 mg) pill with each meal (2x/day) should be safe. You could also give pepcid about 20 min before his meal in case the aspirin might upset his stomach.

Having said all of that, if you notice the pain getting worse, especially if it gets worse quickly despite the rest and aspirin I would take him into the vet. Given that it's Friday, if you wanted to be cautious you could take him in for a quick x-ray today or tomorrow.

But it sounds to me like a muscle injury.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Well, I'm spoiled--any time my guys go up on the table, they get adjusted. Could be a combination of the table and running hard.

Let him rest it and don't encourage running for several days and see how he does. From your description, he is walking it off?

The dose you have him on (supplement) is very low. Is the chondroitin from bovine?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Christie, make sure you check his pads, toes and between the toes at the webbing. My guess is he stepped funny chasing the car.

Keep us posted.

Oh, yeah, go ahead and do an epsom soak, but if you can't figure out where the pain is localized, it's a little tricky :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I did palpate his feet and toes, pushed on each pad, and he didn't flinch, so I don't think there's anything stuck in there or a cut, but I'll do it again tonight. Maybe he took a turn wrong or something.

I will keep him rested and will get some aspirin and let you know what happens.

Meredith, I have never done an epsom soak, and would probably do something stupid like fill a pool with epsom and throw him in it to make sure I don't miss any spots. :D

Thank you so much! I am coming down off my ledge now.

If you're not super busy on Saturday and want to bring him by the Greenbelt Pet Expo, I can take a quick look at him. I'll be there from the beginning, but don't know how long I'll stay. At least until noon or 1, I figure.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

If you're not super busy on Saturday and want to bring him by the Greenbelt Pet Expo, I can take a quick look at him. I'll be there from the beginning, but don't know how long I'll stay. At least until noon or 1, I figure.

Oh, I'd love to and I really appreciate the offer. We will be out and about most of the day, as it's Brian's birthday and I still haven't done any shopping. THANKS though!

How does the IV wound look? Any chance it might be infected?

At first that was my fear, because it was a little swollen. But he's on an antibiotic and I've been cleaning it and bandaging it with neosporin, so I don't think so. Plus there's no pus or any other sign of infection. I am keeping my eye on it though.

At first that was my fear, because it was a little swollen. But he's on an antibiotic and I've been cleaning it and bandaging it with neosporin, so I don't think so. Plus there's no pus or any other sign of infection. I am keeping my eye on it though.

Check for a smell as well. Infections tend to smell nasty. But I think you'd notice inflammation, redness or even pus before or at least with a smell.

Is the wound over a joint? I could see it being painful even if uninfected if it were, although that wouldn't necessarily explain why the pain just started. And I woudl think it would get more painful with use, not less.

I still think muscle injury. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Me too.

Not on a joint. You can see it in this picture - it's in the middle of the area where the bandage is. It really is small and doesn't seem infected. Can't smell anything either.

Argosearonfuton.jpg

Guest Enna

Me too.

Not on a joint. You can see it in this picture - it's in the middle of the area where the bandage is. It really is small and doesn't seem infected. Can't smell anything either.

Argosearonfuton.jpg

I'm sure you'd notice if the toes were puffy from the bandage limiting circulation.

Having dealt with a large wound in that area, I can tell you that my hound had a gait change from the wound/bandage. Maybe it is just a temporary muscle strain that will heal more readily once the boo boo is all better.

OK for Mother's Day the limp went away. Completely. It actually went away yesterday which was my husband's birthday so it was a double gift. He popped up yesterday morning as if nothing was wrong. I guess it was just a cramp or something?! I kept him on aspirin through the end of the day yesterday and kept his walks restricted, but he's just fine and dandy! THANKS EVERYONE!