How Often Do You Have Bloodwork Done?

Guest RavenRacersMom

Guest RavenRacersMom

Hello. I lost my girl, Raven, a little over a week ago to thrombocytopena (thank you all for your nice thoughts. It REALLY meant a lot to me.) It got me wondering, I have an 8 year old male, Bernie who has never had blood work done. I want to get a sort of baseline count which I will probably do next month. How often after that do you have your hounds blood work checked? I want to hopefully avoid any problems by having it checked. Thank you!

Guest lotsagreys4me

I have dogs on thyroid meds so we re check that each year and I just do a full BP since they are taking blood anyway. Good idea go get blood work for your eight year old since you have never had it done before.

I've been doing it on my dogs about once a year, generally when they go in for dentals.

Just had two done yesterday, and it showed slightly elevated creatinine levels....

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Thyroid meds here, so once the levels evened out once a year (assuming no problems.)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Greytluv

Thryoid meds as well. I have them done once a year. I even do my male, who's thryroid is normal, done once a year.

Before dentals or anesthesia we do a CBC. Actually that has worked out to about once a year for the girls but we have had a couple of lump removals. Twice a year blood test for the boy on pheno for seizures to check his levels. I think once they are seniors an annual check makes sense.

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest HeatherDemps

Before the osteo diagnosis, we had bloodwork done once a year at the annual check up. And if the dental didn't coincide with that time, we also had it done then. Since doing chemo, my poor boy is having bloodwork done every few weeks.... I think once a year is good if there are no problems.

Every 6 months for our seniors...young babes once yearly. :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest paulamariez

We do them once a year at their spring check up, unless they get sick, then they would get them at that time as well.