Dentals

Guest spider9174

Guest spider9174

I was shocked reading the other thread and kept trying to think back to when I just had Gable in for a dental.

The vet sent him home with deramaxx (sp?) and an antibiotic clovamax(I think)--can't remember the exact one. He wasn't out of it at all, even when he came up from the back of the clinic. He was a little tired, but nothing out of the ordinary, really. Something I did notice they said they do is give IV fluids (post op) to help flush the anesthetic out.

Granted, he didn't have any teeth extracted, so it wasn't as traumatic.

After a routine dental with no extractions, Argos usually is sent home with just a standard round of antibiotics. Shouldn't be in any pain, so shouldn't need pain meds.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I think it differs dog to dog, Patrick has never needed antibiotics, but he absolutely flips out (dangerously) coming out of anesthesia; a small dose of a tranquilizer just before he comes out of it prevents it so the vet does that every time.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest MZH

My guess with "why the deramaxx" is that they had to really dig around the gum and that could hurt. If not, the deramaxx could be a little much.

Rita got a post op painkiller injection but no pain pills. It might just be the vet's preference. I dunno. Best to just ask.

The same vet actually asked me before the dental what anesthesia her previous vet in CT had given her; he wanted to duplicate what she did so as not to risk any reaction. I wasn't sure but I knew it wasn't isoflourane. Turned out he gave her the same as our CT vet: propofol and sevo. The new vet added the post op injectable. Worked great!

Marcia

Merlin didn't get any pain meds yesterday because he didn't need any extractions. He was just sent home with 5 days' worth of Clavamox. They told me they used IV fluids on Merlin too... but he was still very disoriented and out of it when I picked him up, and was out of it the whole evening. He's back to his old self today :)

... oh, and he's farting like a herd of elephants. How nice for us :rolleyes:

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

It depends, often yearly.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

It depends, often yearly.

Wow- I didn't realize it could be so frequently. I was aiming for getting it done once, practising "brushing" every day and then not having to get the full dental again. Silly me.

Well, if you use an enzyme toothbrush and are faithful about brushing daily (something I admit I'm not), you can probably get away with less than yearly, but I doubt you won't have to do it again. That said, every dog is different.