Limping

Guest Redpack

Guest Redpack

I know it's hard to connect when I've never managed to get any photos on here....just don't have the time to explore the whole photobucket thing, but I'm still asking for some good thoughts. Diplomat started limping about 2 weeks ago. He has pulled muscles before, so I agreed with the vet to treat him for another pull. But now he's not using his foot at all. I have to take him in for x-rays. And when I got home last night after work, Emissary had a gash on his front leg. He'd jumped over the fence! My son found him standing on the other side of the fence when he went to let them in. I cleaned it well and put antibiotic ointment and gauze with the stretchy stuff that sticks to itself and he's left it alone. I think he could have used stitches, but of course the men didn't think so. I think I'll take him in when I take Dipster for his xrays. I think he should at least have an antibiotic....So please, if you can spare a prayer or good thought, I'd sure appreciate it.

Guest SoulsMom

Did Diplomat go to the vet once already for the limp? Sending good thoughts that it's just a pulled muscle.

How scary about Emissary! Has he ever jumped the fence before? Yikes! Don't want to see him on the AA page.

Guest Redpack

Yes, he went to the vet immediately, but didn't seem so serious then. But suddenly he seems to getting worse, not using the foot at all. Got a call from ds a few minutes ago that he is crying....he gave him one of his pills. We'll go to the evet tonight, can't wait for his appointment on Monday.

And no, Emissary has never jumped over the 4 foot fence even though there were deer, groundhogs and even rabbits on the other side...I have no idea what happened.

Good grief! It sounds like you are having a rotten couple of days. Hugs and prayers for both your puppers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lotsagreys4me

oh I would be scared that he will jump the fence again now that he knows he can. Scary. Let us know what the vet says and paws will be crossed over here

Update please, we are all praying for you and your pup.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sending prayers and gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Redpack

Sorry so long. Bad news. Diplomat has osteo. My big, beautiful, sweet boy. Can any one tell me how long it is safe to wait to put him down? I don't want the bone to break, but I don't want to let him go. He seems comfortable on tramadol. And how do I prepare his littlemate for life without him? How do I prepare for a life without him?

Thank you for the prayers, Emissary is healing nicely, and we found a problem with the gate.

I've cried for many of you and wondered how you got through it, I still don't know. He's only 6 1/2!

Edited by Redpack

Guest trevdog

Oh no! Are you sure you don't want to explore the amputation option? Is it localized to one area?

Consider joining Circle of Grey, they were very helpful to me when dealing with OS. So sorry you are having to go through this....

Guest mdituro

I am so very sorry to hear Diplomat's diagnosis :cry1 I can not help you by giving advice on Osteo as I have never dealt with it firsthand but I have been there for several friends who have gone through this & know that it is very difficult. There are quite a few folks here (unfortunately) that have a lot of experience with this disease and I bet they will be there for you & Diplomat with open arms.

Glad that Emissary is healing well. :getwell

Sending good thoughts & prayers for your family & your pups :hope:candle

Sending my prayers and gentle hugs. Please join the group Circle of Grey. I am so sorry. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest HeatherDemps

I'm sorry that this was the diagnosis, I know how devastating it is to hear it. As has already been mentioned, do join Circle of Grey- lots of support and tons of information. There are quite a few there who did not or could not amputate. My grey was a good candidate for amputation and chemo, so that is the route we pursued and he was almost 12 at the time. Had it not been an option, I was also very scared of a pathological fracture occuring and also just trying to manage the pain from the osteo. I know that some dogs make it only weeks after diagnosis before the pain gets to be unmanagable and others make it many months.

Guest Redpack

Thank you. Is he really going downhill so fast, or am I just aware of it because of his diagnosis? He's losing weight and doesn't even try to run on three legs anymore, just watches his brother run.

Guest jurishound

I am so sorry to hear of the DX. I recently found this article from the OSU Greyhound Wellness Center on Bone Tumors in greyhounds, which may be helpful. If you decide not to amputate, pain management is very important. I am sure GTers with more experienec than me will add their thoughts. Hoping for the best for Diplomat and you . . .

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/assets/pdf/h...rWinter2008.pdf

Guest paulamariez

I am so sorry about the diagnosis. I will keep your precious boy Diplomat in my thoughts and prayers. I hope and pray that he has a lot of quality time left to spend with his beloved family. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Diplomat some healing doggie kisses.

Guest trevdog

I'd feed him whatever he wants to eat, yes they will lose weight/muscle rapidly due to this horrible disease.