Histiocytoma Again?

Guest snowberry

Guest snowberry

Herbie's just come up with a red lump, and we're back from the vets. She thinks it may be a histiocytoma - it's definitely not an abscess, but she's given us antibiotics anyway... Not sure why, now I come to think about it. Herbie had one a couple of years back, in an odd spot - this one's on his front leg, a more usual place to find one, but for some reason, I thought it was one of those things that only happened once. Anyone else any experience of multiple histiocytomas?

Guest greytmonty

I think our derm vet told us a histiocytoma is unlikely to recur in the same place, but that dogs can get other ones in other places.

I am sorry you may have to get surgery again for your pup.

Wallace has had numerous, all in different places.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

When our girlie had one on the bottom of her foot between her toes, I was under the understanding that they are an auto immune response and that they can have several over the course of a lifetime.

Our vet likes to treat less invasively first before surgery is even an option. She had two back to back rounds of antibiotics, and he gave me some sort of drops in a really tiny bottle to put right on it a couple of times a day. The drops made it shrink to nothing in a few weeks so no surgery was needed. Fortunately that was the only one she ever had.

I wish I could remember what the drops were!

Gracie gets one on the same toe. three times now. Completely goes away then returns. Sticks around for about 3 months, then fades away.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest snowberry

Thanks, everyone, you've set my mind at rest. (He's not going to have surgery, they usually go away by themselves, and it's not in a place where it catches on anything.) It's so good to find people with experience of these things :wubsite