Tramadol

Guest ss556

Neck and back nerve pain can be severe. I have multiple places in my neck and back that sometimes won't stop hurting. Because I'm unable to take NSAIDS the pain doctor prescribed high doses of Ultracet and a regular dose of Lidocaine patches. Lo and behold, in a couple of months the nerve pain subsided and I was pleasantly surprised to find I didn't need the meds any more. I suspect the cycle of pain was broken. Now I take nothing unless there's a rare flare-up. I know tramadol is not supposed to be an anti-inflammatory, but it worked that way for me.

Incidentally, I never had withdrawal symptoms when I stopped taking it cold turkey nor is it a controlled substance.

Here's a really good piece on using tramadol; it's written by a vet tech. http://vettechs.blogspot.com/2005/04/tramadol.html

Guest Sassy

I'm not saying not to use tramadol, but we should be cautious giving to our dogs. Pain control is important for anyone. It's wonderful that you're personally not having any side effects, but many people and animals do. The animals can't tell you though, and I am expressing concerns about the light and questionable uses in animals not humans.

I hear of it being used in what seems to be a casual manner with the dogs with little concern that it is a more powerful drug than some of the alternatives and that is is given in situations that questionably appropriate. I've watched vets hand it out like candy - trick or treat. Often it was more than was needed for pain control. Also, it is amazing how often vets give doses higher than drs give to humans.

It's wonderful and fortunate that you didn't experience adverse reactions to stopping "cold turkey". However, there are many strong warnings about the the addictive qualities of tramadol and advisories to not abruptly stop taking it. There's a reason for this. Again, these precious dogs have a hard time telling us if they are feeling bad. Because you had a good experience doesn't mean that it is what everyone will have, and it's not wise to ignore the effects and the potency of a medication.

Even though a drug is not a controlled substance (a term most people don't fully understand), it does not mean that is is not considered a narcotic or that there can be serious consequences to not using it with care. I am advocating being well informed and using discretion, which is advisable with any medication for animal or human.

As for the link provided... It is one persons opinion. It is a blog. Aren't blogs basically gossip sites where people discuss topics froma personal view, a modern equivalent to the backyard fence? It down plays information provided by many other reputable companies, including the manufacturer.

Perhaps what others are objecting to (myself included) is the notion that we have made the decision to use tramadol lightly--I think most people have considered the other options, perhaps even tried many of them (I know I did) before moving to tramadol. Some of us have serious concerns about the long-term use of certain other medications that influenced are choices. I know I give Patrick a fairly high dose, but we began using a low dose and gradually increased it until he seemed to be getting adequate pain relief.

No one wants their babies to experience unnecessary pain OR unnecessary side effects, but it is a balancing act that I trust we all take seriously.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest MountainHounds

My bridge boy Kavana was on Tramadol for osteo and I've taken it myself for back pain. For Kavana, he started off with two pills, twice a day, then we cut back to one pill twice a day. As he started to show more signs of pain, we started increasing until he was finally taking 2 pills three times a day, plus the deramaxx he was on. In his situation, long term side effects were something I talked about with my vet, but since the cancer was going to take him from me long before side effects became an issue, it wasn't something we worried much about. Kamin also did a few days of tramadol after he and Praxis fought, but he was off of it even before his drains came out. I noticed that it tended to make Nanners sleepy at first, but wasn't as much of an issue after a week or so. Kamin didn't seem to be too affected by it when he took it, but when I took it, it made me super dopey and sleepy (although I was also taking a muscle relaxant at the same time and if I wasn't careful the combination would make me :puke )

don't ya just love it when the vets say "keep the dog quiet" yea right!!!! should we get those relaxing eye masks like people use and some tranquil music . more like those straps they use for mental patients and a straight jacket for dogs? lol

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Perhaps what others are objecting to (myself included) is the notion that we have made the decision to use tramadol lightly--I think most people have considered the other options, perhaps even tried many of them (I know I did) before moving to tramadol. Some of us have serious concerns about the long-term use of certain other medications that influenced are choices. I know I give Patrick a fairly high dose, but we began using a low dose and gradually increased it until he seemed to be getting adequate pain relief.

No one wants their babies to experience unnecessary pain OR unnecessary side effects, but it is a balancing act that I trust we all take seriously.

:nod very well put! Fritz was put on tramadol for his neck/shoulder tweak because he absolutely COULD NOT relax, he was in so much pain. He has taken Rimadyl and Deramaxx before and neither gave him much relief but made him a restless zombie instead. Tramadol worked wonderfully for him. Once he was able to rest he probably slept for a day and a half straight because he had missed a night of sleep before going on the tramadol.

I have also taken tramadol for a neck problem and I had no "narcotic" like side effects from it. Everyone is different though - I know a 300 lb woman that can't take half a Vicodin because it will make her loopy. I injured my back a few years ago and was prescribed Vicodin. One pill was enough to relieve the pain but didn't make me sleepy or loopy. I was able to function at work just fine.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I should mention that the extreme dose I gave to Argus was for end-of-life comfort, and given with regard only to alleviating pain, without consideration of long-term side effects. That dose will not kill a greyhound, but would likely have serious long-term effects. If he had not already been dying, this would have been something we needed to think about.

Tramadol does have a fairly wide margin of safety, but still... check with your vet before going bonkers with it.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest greyindy

I take tramadol too for my fibromyalgia and interstitial cystitis. It does not make me sleepy at all in fact if I take more then 4 in a day I have trouble sleeping. It does make DD sleepy (she has fibro & IC too). I love it because I could never work without it and I love my job :) I am a physical therapist assistant in a nursing home and local school system.

Guest rubysdad

I go as light as possible when it comes to medications for our greyhounds because their stomachs are small and they have no fat. Yes, we trust our vets but we, as owners sometimes know better. Trust you instincts.

Guest ss556

Thank you. I believe that one pill bothered Alan. He seems better and I've stopped giving him any tramadol for now. He is seeing the Holistic Vet next week and we'll she what she has to say.

Guest SusanP

Our bridge angel Simon was on tramadol 3x a day toward the end of her life for arthritis pain, and it didn't appear to have any side effects at all, but it did help her to be more comfortable.

Our Carrier was on Tramadol after his amputation. One of the side effects we were told was: " can sometimes cause hallucinations and "funny" behaviour". This is directly from Dr Couto.

Carrier seemed to have these when we gave it to him for longer than a day. However, the drug worked well for him when the pain needed to be taken away.