Alexander (alex) Battle

Guest CyndiW

Guest CyndiW

An hour before I arrived to pick up Alex last Monday after his weekend battle with low WBC, high fever, and UTI, one of the techs fed him dry kibble from a bowl. He cannot eat it that way because of his esophagus motility issues. The charge nurse said that his chart was clearly marked on how to feed him correctly. When they brought him in the room for discharge, he had wild eyes and was not happy to see me. I knew something was wrong. The oncology tech said that he had just thrown up some kibble and that he was feeling nauseous so they gave him a shot of Cerenia. I told her that was not nausea and that he was in pain. His face was drawn back and his back was arched.

All of a sudden, he started spitting up white foam everywhere. She rushed him to the back to the doctors. X-rays showed a large amount of kibble lodged in his esophagus. The oncologist immediately put him under to scope him and ended up having to push the kibble through with the scope. I was so scared that in his weakened state that he would not survive the anesthesia but he woke up fine. They made him stay another night for observation and one of the internist rechecked him the next day to make sure there was no permanent damage to his esophagus. She said it was just red and irritated but no longer dilated and no ulcerations were seen.

His spirit remains strong!! He is scheduled for the next round of chemo in 1 1/2 weeks.

:omg They need to be more careful. Alex has been through enough now!! He'll have his special candle tomorrow morning and you tell him how he has won the hearts of people from all over the world. :candle

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

How is he today?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest CyndiW

Alex had been doing great since I got him home last Tuesday night. He was eating well within about 24 hours and I have been able to slowly increase his daily intake. He eats soaked kibble (sometimes with cottage cheese) for his 3 main meals and then frozen Bil Jac one piece at a time (and he literally likes it frozen) for mini-meals in between. He likes soft liver treats and cheese for snacks. Not a perfect diet for a dog with cancer but it is the one that he has chosen. If his appetite remains good, I will slowly try to start cooking for him again but that is what he was eating during adria and ceenu and had some regurgitation and vomiting so now he doesn't want it (can't blame him). He was 58 lbs last Monday and probably dropped a couple more after the blockage/scope because he had to fast for 24hrs to let the esophagus heal. That is almost 20 lbs underweight for him. Since he has been eating well all week and weekend, I feel that he has already put back on a few. He also seems much stronger on his feet and easily pushes the other boys out of his way when he wants something (food, my attention, a certain bed, outside).

Thank you for all of your support. It means so much to know that there are other people out there who truly understand and care. Alex is a very lucky boy to have all of you sending prayers, hugs, and positive thoughts.

Bless his heart, what a scare! Glad he recovered from the incident and is doing well.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Geez... what a horrible incident for him and you to have to deal with, on top of all his other medical challenges. :( Could have been a fatal error. Keeping your boy in my prayers and surrounded by light for his highest good. Please give him lots of gentle :kiss2 's from his fans in SoCal. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest KRKWMU

Oh my gosh, Cyndi! :blink: I'm just now seeing this. Alex has been through SO much. I can't believe you had a scare like this after all of ups and downs you've gone through with him. Thank goodness things are improving. Keep us updated when you can.

Alex, eat like a piggie and gain that weight back! You've got some more battles to win down the road. Bonnie sends big hugs and kisses. She might have a crush on you, Mr. Alex...I know that I do! :inlove