Bump On Head

Guest mom2maddiebug

Guest mom2maddiebug

I noticed when I adopted my grey in November that he had this teeny tiny bump about the size of a very small pimple on the top of his head. It has since grown to abotu the size of a pea. It doesn't seem to hurt him as I can pet him over it and I have pushed on it etc... He doesn't even seem to knwo it's there. When I had him in for his well visit in December the vet said it was normal and nothing to worry about. I keep thinking that he has a brain tumor because this little bump is getting larger. Has anyone had anything like this and it turn out to be nothing? If you look at hte picture below you can see the bump near his ear... it's his right side but your left looking at it.

089.jpg

Ahhhh, he's so cute! Try not to worry as there are a lot of benign skin tumors that can pop-up over time. If your vet didn't suggest a fine needle aspirate I wouldn't worry. Maybe the next time he's "under" for another procedure (teeth cleaning) you can have it removed at that time. ;)

It is probably a sebaceous cyst....my girl gets them all the time, they crop up in all sorts of places on her, they mostly go away on their own...sometimes I give them a little help :blush;)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Oh Abe is sooo cute! it's not a brain tumor! They don't appear like that. More than likely a cyst or benign something. Can it be popped like a pimple or is it under the skin?

Teddy had one on the roof of his mouth. I had it removed when he had his dental. I found it when he roached!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SusanP

My Dr. Doug, who looks a lot like your cutie, recently had something just like what you describeon the back of his head, and the vet drew out some fluid to check and pronounced it a cyst. It suddenly "deflated" this past week. I always get these things checked, tho, just in case. Zippy had a hard pea sized lump in her groin and it turned out to be a small and easily removed cancerous tumor. Never hurts to check.

Edited by SusanP

Guest mom2maddiebug

Yes it is growing. I noticed it after we brought him home when we adopted him but it was like a tiny pimple. Really hard like it needed popping. It's not the size of pea and is much softer. When I move the hair around on it I can't see anything so I really don't think it is a pimple. If I notice it getting any bigger I'm going to take him to the vet. I hope it's nothing.

Guest lotsagreys4me

Keep us posted. My dogs have gotten things like that and they just seem to disappear but if they start growing, I have the vet take them off. I don't want to run the risk of it really being something bad or changing into something bad. Good luck

Guest TuxsMom

sometimes a foreign body can get under the skin and cause the body to grow like a protective cacoon around it. maybe thats what it is? but you should get it checked to ease your mind :)

Guest mom2maddiebug
sometimes a foreign body can get under the skin and cause the body to grow like a protective cacoon around it. maybe thats what it is? but you should get it checked to ease your mind :)

I saw the lady that has the dancing greyhounds this weekend at a greyhound picnic adn told ehr about it. She felt his head and she said the same thing as you posted here. She said it doesn't feel like anything at all but if it gets bigger and the temperature of it changes etc.. to check it out. But next time we visit the vet I will ask.

Guest Scouts_mom

My girls get various bumps from time to time. My vet has told me that if they seem to be growing or change color, I should have her check them out. I think I've had her check out three because I am a nervous mommy. 2 were just fatty lumps, but one was a pre-cancerous something or other that we removed.

I read your post, so I know you HAD IT CHECKED and your vet is not concerned. There are a ton of harmless lumps and bumps dogs get. As long as you're monitoring it and your vet is already aware of it, don't worry about it. If you MUST worry, then simply ask your vet to do a need aspirate. They poke in a needle, suck out some of what's inside, then look at it under a microscope.

It's no big deal and requires no anesthesia. If it makes you feel better, than it's worth the cost! My old dog was COVERED with warts and lumps and bumps. 99% of them were nothing. Sadly, the other one was a malignant nerve sheath tumor...

This sounds like a subcutaenous doggy zit!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck