Vomiting..how Do I Induce

Guest alannamac

Call your e-vet. It may cause more damage to have him vomit, versus feeding tons of bread & having it pass through. How big was the piece he swallowed? Or he may need surgery asap. :eek

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Call your e-vet. It may cause more damage to have him vomit, versus feeding tons of bread & having it pass through. How big was the piece he swallowed? :eek

I agree!!!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest alannamac
Call your e-vet. It may cause more damage to have him vomit, versus feeding tons of bread & having it pass through. How big was the piece he swallowed? Or he may need surgery asap. :eek

small fragment about 1 cm triangle.....I was so worried that I went ahead and gave him the hydrogen peroxide and he's vomited his entire supper so hopefully that took care of it.....I'll feed him lots of bread now.

Guest greyvettech

No, do not make him vomit if he ate a part of a plate!! It may do more damage coming up than going down...But yes, a tsp of hydrogen peroxide(every five minutes) will induce vomiting.(my grey got into the trash on Saturday and ate a fair amount of very greasy chicken I had to make her vomit(was worried about pancreatitis) after about two tsps that did it, she vomited about 5 times and it was over ....I would watch him closely and probably add metamucil and mineral oil to his food to make the digestion easier on his GI tract...is he vomits or has abdominal pain/distention I would get him to the vet asap for radiographs...You should call your vet regardless to get his opinion..

I just read that you made him vomit,hopefully he is ok now,my vet said the bread theory is not really effective....

good luck-

Guest alannamac

Everything's ok it was a false alarm....I just found the missing piece......I was in a panic and moved too fast to try to help him. It never occured to me that I could injure his esophagus, all I could think about was a perforated bowel. I should have waited for a response. I am so sorry, this has been a learning experience. I am so glad I didn't cause any damage!

When Bandit ran off with a chunk of the broken plate and started crunching on it....I got it from him quickly but that one little piece was missing and I freaked out :eek

Well now I know what to do if he gets into anything sharp that I don't get away from him in time......I know this will happen some time as he's a little scamp and likes to run off with things (like toothpaste tubes etc) and chew them to bits.

I'm very sorry, and thank you all for your advice.

Guest LynnM

When in doubt, call the e-vet before posting on a message board.

To induce vomiting, peroxide is your best bet, but dogs also have a sensitive gag reflex, so in a pinch, just getting your hand down his throat can often bring up the goods.

Lynn

Thank goodness your pup is okay. :) Not a fun learning experience... but valuable. :P

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest greyvettech
Everything's ok it was a false alarm....I just found the missing piece......I was in a panic and moved too fast to try to help him. It never occured to me that I could injure his esophagus, all I could think about was a perforated bowel. I should have waited for a response. I am so sorry, this has been a learning experience. I am so glad I didn't cause any damage!

When Bandit ran off with a chunk of the broken plate and started crunching on it....I got it from him quickly but that one little piece was missing and I freaked out :eek

Well now I know what to do if he gets into anything sharp that I don't get away from him in time......I know this will happen some time as he's a little scamp and likes to run off with things (like toothpaste tubes etc) and chew them to bits.

I'm very sorry, and thank you all for your advice.

just glad he's ok :colgate

Really glad he's okay. Have you guys worked on drop-it or using a muzzle/leash to teach him not to pick up things he shouldn't have? Just thinking ahead to how you can prevent this type of scare in the future.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest alannamac

Really glad he's okay. Have you guys worked on drop-it or using a muzzle/leash to teach him not to pick up things he shouldn't have? Just thinking ahead to how you can prevent this type of scare in the future.

Oh yes, He's got the "leave-it" command down pat.....and is very obedient.....it's just catching him in the act that's the trick...we have to be very careful not to leave things in reachable spots: ink pens and building blocks as well as my son's toy cars are the usual victims. The plate was knocked off a counter while we weren't in the kitchen, so it all happened quite quickly. He's just so fast unless you've got your eye on him right at the moment of the "grab". Absolutely never does these things when he knows we're watching. He's living up to his name .....Bandit.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Ok, well let me tell you about my experience with ingested broken glass.

Spud knocked a pyrex pie plate off the counter to get some cornbread and the plate shattered. When I say shattered, I mean there was absolutely no way to tell if they'd ingested any. We were finding glass for days. Spud cut his nose and bled all over the house.

I called the vet who told me there was really nothing to be done at that point, unless they started exibiting signs of distress. I was told to watch them, but lethargy, panting, excessive stretching (like they were uncomfortable) etc... were signs that I needed to bring them in immediately.

I was told DO NOT feed a cotton ball soaked in heavy cream, and that I could feed them some bread but just to watch.

They were both fine. So whatever, if anything, they ingested was small enough to pass.

If your grey swallows something sharp, it's generally not a good idea to induce vomitting. Even with some poisons, you should contact medical assistance before you induce, because some do more harm when you bring them back up.

Glad your pup is ok. :)