Another Grand Mal

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Well crap! I think Metronidazole is what has been triggering Henry's seizures! http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/metronidaz_ad.htm Henry has been on that antibiotic twice in the last few weeks, and since then has been having weekly seizures. He just finished having a grand mal. Another doozy. My husband had to keep Henry from flying off the sofa. It was too hard to get Henry onto the floor safely so that was what we had to do. I grabbed the ice and sure enough the violent part ended quickly. And again he went into the mode where he seemd almost comatose, with crazy eyes and flinching at every little noise. He was extremely hot. We have all the windows open and the heat off. He ran around outside afterwards as well, to cool off.

I am ANGRY, and feel like cussing my frigging head off at this STUPID EPILEPSY!!!! :angryfire I wish it would LEAVE MY HENRY ALONE!!!!!!

And, and, and, and, and, WHY wasn't I told of the possible side effect of seizures in metronidazole???????????? Henry already is very prone!!!!! We wont be increasing his kbr more. The next increase will be adding in either phenobarbital or zonisamide.

I have to admit I can't even imagine what it's like to see Henry go through this. It has to break your heart. I have no experience with this so I can't even offer anything, but I just want you to know that you and Henry remain in my prayers. Thanks for being there for him. :hope:hope:hope

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

My heart just aches for you and your precious Henry. :grouphug Sending lots more prayers and light to you all, to help you through this bump in the road. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest EmilyAnne

I am looking at Henry's journal, and putting it all together. Before his first dosage of metronidazole, he had gone 3 months 2 days without a seizure. On his second day of being on metro, he broke that seizure streak. We told the vet, and cont'd the meds. This is his metro/seizure dates:

~March 10th started Metronidazole

~March 11th (broke streak :( )

~March 21st (very severe, but short fortunately)

~April 2nd (a milder one, but still definately a grand mal)

~April 10th, started another dose of Metronidazole

~April 13th-today (short and severe)

Edited by EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

I am putting this:

ESI_medical_scanner.jpg

on my wish list. B) It's a Star Trek medical scanner. You scan the body and it will tell you everything you need to know that medical science can't tell you.

;)

I'm so sorry you and your poor Henry are going through this. We've had 1 dog, and 3 cats that had seizures, and it was incredibly stressful, and upsetting to see. You feel so helpless. You are really doing your homework, though, and it's obvious how much you love him and are trying to keep him safe. Sending prayers that this cycle can some way be broken.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

And, and, and, and, and, WHY wasn't I told of the possible side effect of seizures in metronidazole????????????

Because you didn't ask and/or didn't look it up on your own before giving it to him. Yes, we hope our vets do the best for our animals, but they aren't perfect.

Don't beat yourself up, just use this as a learning experience - Henry is fine. But in the future, you have a dog on medication that is important to his wellbeing. The onus is on you to be check, with the vet or on your own, that any new medications he takes are not going to interact with what he's already one or have issues for his seizures.

The first question I ask my vet when he gives Ryan a new med is "Can he take this with PB and KBr?" Followed by "Are there any side effects we should be concerned about?" And if I for some reason forget to ask, I look it up before giving it to him or call back when I get home to ask.

There is a drug interaction between Flagyl and PB and seizures are a possible serious side effect.

Before taking metronidazole, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

* epilepsy or other seizure disorder;

If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take this medication.

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

* seizures (convulsions);

Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:

* seizure medication such as phenytoin (Dilantin) or phenobarbital (Luminal, Solfoton);

Personally, I wouldn't up any of his meds at the moment. Get him off the Flagyl and if he needs to be on something, get something different.

And be happy that his increased seizures right now are due to something you can control, not all of us are so lucky on that account.

Guest EmilyAnne

Trudy, I call the vet every single time Henry has a seizure. She knew he was having increased seizures while on Metro. *sigh* but yes, they are human beings. I'm angry, but not necessarily all the anger is towards the vet. When things like this happen its just emotional and you can either get really sad and have a good hard cry, or get really flipping angry.

But amen to being glad that I found the cause!

We will keep his meds the same (minus the metro of course) and see what happens.

Guest ss556

I hope that Henry goes for a long time seizure free after discontinuing that med. Can we see a picture of Henry again, he is so handsome.

Guest EmilyAnne
I hope that Henry goes for a long time seizure free after discontinuing that med. Can we see a picture of Henry again, he is so handsome.

Right now he is curled up on the sofa not feeling good. I bet by morning he'll be back to his frisky self! I'll be sure to post some pictures soon! :)

Just FYI for future reference. Zeniquin is another seizure inducer. I found out the same way you did about metronidizole. I forgot to read the info on Zeniquin before I gave it to Cullen. Argh! My vet said the chance of it inducing seizures was very low-- but it did. Sounds like your Henry and my Cullen are/were in C's case, very sensitive to medication side effects!

Guest EmilyAnne
Just FYI for future reference. Zeniquin is another seizure inducer. I found out the same way you did about metronidizole. I forgot to read the info on Zeniquin before I gave it to Cullen. Argh! My vet said the chance of it inducing seizures was very low-- but it did. Sounds like your Henry and my Cullen are/were in C's case, very sensitive to medication side effects!

Ah! Thank you! I have a list in Henry's journal that I am compiling of possible seizure triggers. I added this to that list.