Harriet The Harris Hawk

Pippin

Today was opening day of the Georgia Renaissance Faire. I've been a regular attendee since my first spring in Georgia, back in 2002. And each year, a large portion of my time is spent enjoying the raptor show, presented by Earthquest.org. I used to have a season pass to Callaway Gardens as well, when Earthquest was resident there.

One of my favorite birds was Harriet, the Harris Hawk. When I saw Steve today, he told me that Harriet had passed away. It was so odd seeing the show open with a red-tail instead of a Harris Hawk.

Harriet exemplified the grace, strength, beauty and intelligence of the birds called the "wolfpack of the sky." These photos don't begin to do her justice, but they'll have to do.

28313876.jpg

28313886.jpg

28313875.jpg

28313882.jpg

28313883.jpg

Fly free, sweet Harriet - I know Steve misses you, and so do I.

28313884.jpg

Edited by Pippin

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

So magnificent... flying free at the Bridge.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest Mommydog

She was a beautiful girl, fly free sweetie. I love the raptors too. I went to a place last summer near here called Leighton Hall, they fly the Harris Hawks there along with other raptors. You can book a one to one Hawk Walk, where you go out with the falconer and fly the hawk. I really fancy doing that some time.

Guest TriciasZoo

I'm so sorry, Mary. Harris hawks are one of my favorites. We have a wonderful rehab program here at our zoo, an as a volunteer I'm lucky enough to be able to check in on all the "patients" and talk with their rehabber/keeper.

Oh, that's very sad. What a beautiful lady. Fly free sweetheart.

I know that feeling. There is an education center at our zoo and they had this little pygmy owl there that I always loved to visit, he was adorable. I only make it to the zoo probably once a year so I always make sure to visit him. Last year when I was there they told me he had passed away :( He was very old (I'm not sure how old), but nonetheless it was sad...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--