Bandages

Does anyone have good suggestions on how to keep a determined Greyhound from removing her leg bandages?

Last night, somehow, she managed to remove her bandage, and I have no clue how. She is wearing a kennel muzzle with a poop cup!!!! I would have taken a bet that she would not have been able to do this!

So she did so again while we were at work today, so I re-wrapped when I got home. I had stopped off at the drug store, and gotten narrower Coban (human version of vet wrap, and not colorful), and wide tape. I had some waterproof, aka STICKY, tape here already, so I vet-wrapped, then paper-taped to her leg, then waterproof taped over that... I am supervising closely, because she has already tried to go after the bandage.

I don't want to use a cone if I don't have to...

ARGH! Why do these beasts need to be so intelligent when we DON'T want them to be?!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

What about the Bite-Not collar? Although I know sometimes they can reach the leg with it. Is this poor mis-understood Naples?

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest lotsagreys4me

Wow, she got it off while wearing a muzzle with a poop guard? that is one determined girl. How about after it is wrapped, you put a sock over it. Cut the toes out so it goes up the leg. PUnch two holes in the top. I use a shoe lace, put the lace through one hole and then around the dogs shoulders and tie it onto the other hole in the top of the sock.This will hold the sock in place. they cannot get the sock off and hard to get to the wound underneath it. Its kinda difficult to explain but it did work for me. Good luck

Guest greytgovernor

I was going to suggest using some type of sock too. The more separate layers there are the longer it will last (maybe). Is this her front or hind leg?

They are so intelligent, determined and (sometimes?) stubborn. You almost need to see how she is getting it off to try to counteract it.

I'm in the same boat with Milky. I gave her some algery meds this morning hoping she would be a little sleepy and leave it alone. She's even staying with my Aunt who can watch her but Milky sneaks off and takes her bangade off. I told her I was going to wrap her mouth shut next instead of her leg. :lol At least then she couldn't lick. If you come up with something that works, let me know. Oh and Milky has also developed a taste for Bitter Yuck spray too :huh

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

I've never had success with anything but the old cone collar. Greyhound necks are so long they seem to be able to get around all the other kinds. When Argos was bandaged up, he used his muzzle to push and pull on his stitches and ended up making a bigger mess than he would have with just his tongue!

Have you tried bitter apple spray? It works great, but you have to keep reapplying.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Tried the sock in the past. It takes her longer, but she still gets it off.

It is her front legs - she had dew-claws taken off, after a big tear over the weekend. I didn't want to do it, because I have heard it causes a lot of pain (from a vet friend of mine, among other folks), but she had really banged it up this time. Small tears are one thing, but this was a dislocation, as well as torn skin. Either way, she'd have had to be bandaged, so off came the joints. We opted to do both, figuring if she's gonna be laid up anyway, we'll do it all.

And, she has also developed a taste for the bitter sprays. She thinks they are condiments. Besides, with her muzzle on, I think she is just working the bandages with the muzzle, rather than her mouth.

I agree, I think I will just duct-tape her mouth shut! :rolleyes: Okay, not really. But I am tempted!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest sheila

I don't know if this would help or not but I 'invented' this sleeve to put over Kiowas leg when he wouldn't leave an owie alone. It has elastic at the top that fit over his elbow and velcro on the side so I could easily open it up to change bandaging. (I actually just lined it with panty liners to cover the wound and would just change them out)

Another thing I had some success with was a thing my Grandmother had when she burned her arm. It was like a spandex type sleeve that went from her hand to her elbow and had a hole in one end for her thumb. I turned it around and used the thumb hole to fit over K's elbow and then also used some Coban type wrap at the top to hold it in place.

A very determined dog will still be able to get both of these off though. In that case a cone might be the only answer

000_0216.jpg

How about a long sleeved T-shirt? You could tape it closed at the foot and then just tie the body up in a knot. that worked well for me once but it doesn't sound like my girl is as determined as yours!

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Something I've done is made a shield out of a plastic bag, like a ZipLoc baggie. It's not intended to fit around the part (it has to breathe, after all), but the bag is taped around the joint above the wound- and that's it. It flares out at the bottom, where it is unsecured. They can lick the outside of the bag all they like, but can't get it off.

Your little Houdini may be able to circumvent that, from the sounds of it. Maybe the leg of an old pair of sweatpants?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest grey_dreams

Just a different thought - maybe those spots where the dew claws were are throbbing or in pain, and so that's driving her to really go after the bandaging to get to those spots. I wonder if you could give some pain killer or mild sedative, if it would help.

Just a different thought - maybe those spots where the dew claws were are throbbing or in pain, and so that's driving her to really go after the bandaging to get to those spots. I wonder if you could give some pain killer or mild sedative, if it would help.

I don't think so. We've been leash walking her, and I have been watching her gait. She's not limping, and she keeps trying to run.

We do have Rimadyl for her, but I don't want to give it to her...she needs to know her limits, because that's the type she is. If she does not feel the pain, she WILL overdo it, despite our best efforts to prevent her. It sounds cruel, but that's reality.

And, we gave her Rimadyl the first niday ght, and next after the surgery (she had gotten a pain injection at the time of the surgery), and her tummy was a little upset. With the antibiotics she's on also, I don't want to push the stomach too far.

Guest tampagreymom

Not sure where on her leg the bandages are but I found 4-legged pajamas to work on my grey when she had a leg bandage. It kept her from getting at them.

Knock on wood, the tape has foiled her so far. I'm sure she'll figure it out, but the bandages I put on yesterday are staying put at this point! Thanks for all the help, guys!