Update - Loss Of Protein

Guest lauri

Guest lauri

The complete CBC isn't back so we can't tell if Miles is anemic yet, but so far his protien levels are really low. She says he could be losing it through his urine, digestive tract, (like leaky gut that humans can get), or not producing it.

We'll hear tomorrow early, so I may have to bring him in for a urinalysis.

Anyone have this experience? What was the cause?

Edited by lauri

In our case... we have NO IDEA of the cause still after 6 months.

All we know is some medication slowed his protein loss, but he's still losing way too much of it. His levels now are about the best we can expect from him.

His protein/creat ratio was way high (9.0+), now he's down to 6.0+. Still very high. It will never see normal again.

Blood levels are low now, so we changed him down to a lower protein food to help him out a bit - but that won't fix it.

None of his vets that work with us on his issues starting in Sept thought he'd still be around now, so we'll take what issues he has and keep working with them to keep them from being too much of a problem for him to handle :)

If you haven't had the ratio checked, drop off a urine sample.

Do a consult with OSU - Dr. Couto has done a study on protein loss (or he's currently doing one, can't remember), but he and/or his team can probably give you some good advice: greyosu@osu.edu. :goodluck

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I've been waiting 5 months and haven't heard from him/the team after he requested Ryan's records and my vet faxed them to him. I like and trust my vet and he knows his stuff, so I wasn't too worried about not hearing back from OSU.

Dylan had a cancerous mass in his intestines. It was found with an ultrasound and removed.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest jurygirl

Jury had PLE, she lost protein thru her gut. The NC vet school could not say what caused it, we managed it with Budesonide and B12 shots and diet. There was a few more drugs that she tried but she never did well on drugs she would always come up with every side effect.

Hope all goes well for Miles :goodluck

Guest lauri

More results - Miles IS anemic. She's going to forgo the urinalysis for now, and go straight to x-rays.

Tumors and masses WILL be ruled out! I'm hoping it's just a bout of IBS or ulcer, as he's had wierd grumbly tummy stuff before.

Have to stay positive!

I will be taking him in on the way to my pet scan, and Jacklyn (my daughter) will pick him up.

Boy...we sure are healthy around here! :huh

My Topaz has a protein-losing enteropathy. They didn't know the source. Everyday liver values were okay. The test is for liver enzymes. But when they did the liver FUNCTION tests, they went through the roof.

She was gone within 4 weeks of the first symptoms, she was only 5.

That's my only experience with protein losing enteropathy. I hope it's not yours! :hope:hope:hope