New Here, Interested In Greyhounds

Guest WhippetsOwnMe

Guest WhippetsOwnMe

Hi there,

I am new here. I have owned retired Greyhounds in the past, and I have always loved the breed. My boyfriend and I have three Whippets, plus we house and socialize the occasional additional Whippet for the breeder two of our dogs came from. Right now we have one extra one here. We also have two other dogs.

We love going to the Greyhound track here and watching the dogs. He bets (with my not that experienced, but not totally clueless advice on pedigrees, sires, etc) while I drool over all the gorgeous Greyhounds! I laugh at the little traits I see as the dogs are walked up that remind of me dogs I have fostered, and I often find myself saying, "That has to be related to my one foster" and when I look in the program, sure enough I am usually right!!!

Anyway, we hope to actually purchase some Greyhounds and enjoy getting involved in the racing world. Any tips on that would be welcomed. We hope to adopt some dogs we purchase ourselves when they retire, and personally rehome any others to an ideal home, covering expenses such as spay/neuter, vaccination, etc much as a rescue group would. I would like to know how possible that is, given that I do have pretty extensive experience doing adoptions in many different breeds including Greyhounds. I am sure we won't be able to adopt every single one ourselves unless we hit the lotto and buy a farm :lol It will be a while before we make such a purchase of puppies, as we want to be as prepared as possible to make an informed choice. I won't do it if I can't have the option of adopting the dogs myself when they retire, or personally finding them homes and knowing where they go and keeping in touch with new owners.

Anyway, I just love Greyhounds, and I know a fair bit about the Greyhound world, especially adoptions. I would like to learn a lot more about the racing world, buying pups, and that sort of thing. I thought it would be fun to network with others, especially those interested in racing as well as keeping these wonderful dogs as pets and companions.

Above all, I love all dogs, especially sight hounds, and I think they all deserve a wonderful home and a soft sofa to retire to. They will always be mostly just adorable pets to me!! I can't deny I enjoy the excitement of watching these amazing animals do what they were bred to do. Our Whippets actively lure course and I would love to try that with my future Greyhounds too.

Guest GreytMuse

Welcome to GreyTalk!

You don't say where you live, but I suggest you find your nearest Greyhound Adoption Group and talk to them about fostering or volunteering your time. It's a wonderful way to get re-involved with the breed (much like you do with whippets) and network with people local to you.

I know absolutely nothing about owning/purchasing racing greyhounds, but I'm sure that more intelligent people will come and offer their input. :) The focus of the vast majority of the people on this board is post-retirement greyhounds, and most of our conversations and threads will reflect that. There may be a more appropriate website or forum out there that someone can point you to?

I look forward to more of your posts and pictures of your pups!

Guest WhippetsOwnMe

I have done that, and I am a member of one of the local adoption groups here. I just love Greyhounds, in every aspect of the breed. If there is a forum about racing, that would be cool, too. I'd also like to hang here as I have had Greyhound pets and intend fully to have more in the future. Thanks for the welcome!

If you're in the US, you'll want to talk to Mama Caffie (otherwise known as wlmc..something) - she & her husband raise, train, race and started a pre-adoption group called Follow That Hound - you can find that here... Again, bet she'd have some advice if you're in the States!!

Edited with the CORRECT username for Cathie!!

wmlcml6

Edited by ozgirl2

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Hello everyone! I am new to this site. I adopted my first greyhound from Regap of Illinois last year on April 6th. His racing name was Grey's Island Mocha but I changed it to Luka. I have been crazy about greyhounds for over 10 years and did a ton of research before I adopted. He is the absolute love of my life. We spend a lot of time attending meet and greets to promote adoption and Luka lives for these events. I love to make my boy happy!

I have met the most wonderful people because of Regap. My life is so much better and I have never been so happy.

Besides Luka I have a 8 year old wired hair fox terrier named Scout and two parrots- one a yellow naped amazon named Fred and a Solomon Island Eclectus named Solomon. My dream is to have 3 greyhounds but right now my Mom says we have enough animals in our house.

I am really impressed by this site and I am really grateful for the Amber Alert section. It is wonderful to see people from all over the country helping to recover lost hounds. I appreciate the kindness you all show to hounds in need.

I live on the South Side of Chicago.

Thanks! Janice

I have done that, and I am a member of one of the local adoption groups here. I just love Greyhounds, in every aspect of the breed. If there is a forum about racing, that would be cool, too. I'd also like to hang here as I have had Greyhound pets and intend fully to have more in the future. Thanks for the welcome!

Join up with Global Greyhounds - that's where you'll find owners, trainers and others involved in the industry, though there are a few owners/trainers on this site. I think they charge $30 a year for membership. Good luck :)

Oh, and welcome to GT :D

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire