Leg Cramps?

Can greyhounds limbs fall asleep? You know, the pins-and-needles gimpy limb feeling? A few times now Grace has gotten up from her bed in the corner where she was roaching and has limped on a back leg and screamed a bit. It almost seems as if she has a cramp or something. Tonight I tried to get her to walk it off so I went into the kitchen to get the really good treats, and she instinctively followed and tried to sit. Of course her leg came out from under her on the slick floor, so she went off screaming again. I placed my hand on her big old thigh and she screamed when I touched a very hard knot....at which point she went back to her bed. She approached me again and let me touch her leg, it felt like the muscle was twitching underneath. Immediately after she wanted to go outside, she did her business, and now she's back on the couch. This is maybe the third or fourth time it's happened. Any idea what it could be? She never limps otherwise and is in perfect health.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Yes I am sure they can. My old girl has similar syptoms once in a while like when a person has 'slept funny' or fallen asleep awkwardly. We too get the staggering and occasionly the crying/screaming also. I just massage the area that seems to be affected and she is usually back to normal fairly quickly. I don't really know what causes this or if there is any way to prevent it happening though.

Sue from England

Oh, yeah! My Dude does this at least 2 or 3 times a week. He'll be lying quietly and all of a sudden we get the pathetic screams and whimpers. He usually jumps up and walks it off on his own, but sometimes we have to massage his leg (usually a back one) if it's bad. The other two do it as well, but not nearly as often.

greysmom ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yes, Argus would get Charley horses and spring up out of a dead sleep screaming and dangling his leg. It scared us half to death, but he would be okay after a a few minutes of rubbing it and walking him around to loosen him up.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg