Weird Coughing In The Middle Of The Night

Last night at about 1:15 AM, Polli (age 9) starting coughing, it sounded like she was trying to clear her throat. DH and I sat up, turned on lights, her breathing was OK, she did drink water but it did not stop until 45 minutes later only to start again on and off until 5:30 AM.

She seemed fine this morning and had her morning cookie.

Any clue as to what it could be? We happen to have a vet appointment this evening for heartworm test so I will mention it, but I am curious as to what it could have been.

Watching on the webcam, she seems to be OK today.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guess no one has heard of anything like this, huh?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Have you ever had her heart check out?

The only thing I can think of is congestive heart failure. But that's only because my Pearl has a very bad heart and that is what I'm supposed to expect when her time comes (if she doesn't keel over from a heart attack).

I'm sure there's other reasons, so don't get too worried yet.

Guest sheila

I would also have her heart checked. Kiowa has been taking Enalarpil for his heart for the past cpl yrs (he will be 14 this yr) I mentioned to the vet last month a strange cough that only seems to present in the middle of the night when K has not been active for several hrs. Vet had me up his dosage of Enalapril and said if that didn't help that perhaps adding Lasix might be the next step.

Just got back from vet. Polli is 59.4 pounds. :yikes

I never thought I'd be saying... now we have to watch her!!!!

She had her heartworm test and I showed the vet a video of last night. Other that something possibly irritating her throat, she can't figure it out. Her trachea is a bit more sensitive than normal. If her snout is pointed up for me to scratch under her neck, she will cough, clear her throat unlike the others who just enjoy the scritching.

If it happens again tonight, the vet wants me to call tomorrow.

On another note, after 6.5 months, Polli already NEEDS another dental.She said it shouldn't be more thn 2 months. I brush Polli's teeth EVERY night. EVERY NIGHT. I also give her the CET rinse in the water. Emotionally, I feel like a failure. Logically, I get it. I know I am doing everything I can for her. I hate having to put her through that again. The anethesia is so hard on her. Her breath is ROTTEN again and her teeth ( what she has left) look horrible already.

I'm so bummed about that.

Edited by RobinM

Guest OnOurFourth

Hi Robin,

Did your vet check Polli for a heart murmur? That can cause coughing when lying down, if it is somewhat advanced.

We had an older grey who developed a murmur, and the vet said that if you notice coughing when lying down, usually of course when or just after sleeping, that could mean the murmur is getting worse and she might need medication (I'm sorry, I don't remember what kind). She ended up passing away (not from the murmur) before any of that developed, so I'm sorry I don't have much to offer here except that might be a symptom of heart murmur issues. Just something you might want to check into.

Don't feel guilty about the teeth. Our last boy had terrible problems with his teeth, despite my efforts to brush and all. Some of the greys are just worse than others, I think. But I know how you feel about having to have them undergo the vet dental cleaning. Have you tried the Science Diet that is formulated to help control tartar? I've been wondering if that stuff helps at all. Been thinking of trying it out as a preventative for our new boy Ace, who arrived here from the adoption agency with tartar under the gumline, but seems to have good breathe, at least presently. I'm already angry that I know he should have a dental now to avoid more buildup.

It's a battle. Best to you and Polli and the rest of the gang.

-Tracy

She hasn't done it since that night.

She does seem to have a sensitive trachea, as I mentioned even scratching her neck with her snout pointed up will cause her to clear her throat. She seems OK.

Thanks.

Wow, I have some thoughts. Once in a while dogs have thyroid gland issues, ie, swelling, even a tumor starting. (I don't mean hypothyroid or anything like that. That's rare but we had a dog with this, so I brought it up. He coughed.)

The other issue is maybe a sinus problem or even acid reflux. Our girl has bad breath even right after a dental so I wonder if there's a post-nasal drip causing bad breath. I brush and her teeth don't stay clean either. Gee, I wonder if our dogs are related! Our Rita doesn't have a cough though.

Is there a chance something is caught in her throat?

Hope you get it figured out soon.

Marcia

She does seem to have a sensitive trachea, as I mentioned even scratching her neck with her snout pointed up will cause her to clear her throat. She seems OK.

Alpo has always been like that. Not from scratching, but if he gets any pressure at all on his neck he couchs and gacks a little.

Glad Polli seems ok. :-)

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg