Grade For Dog Kibble

Trudy

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 18tjettagrl

I'm going to have to try Kirklands or the Natures Recipe next. I started Victoria on Eagle and she did well then the gas kicked in about a month ago. Switched her to Professional (no corn, soy or wheat) and gas is worse. She eats it no problem but don't want my poor baby to have tummy troubles. So we will see what Kirklands will do. Guess the rest of this will go to our No Kill Shelter.

• 4 months later...
Guest Carsons_mom

Hi Nancy,

I just saw this post and have to ask, are those Borzoi or Silken Windhounds? Hard to tell from the camera angle just how tall they are.

BTW, I feed my dogs Nature's Domain from Costco. Kind of mid priced, but ingredients recognizable as food.

Thanks for posting this Trudy, I just printed it out. smile.gif

John and I were at Costco on Sunday and I looked at the Kirkland Chicken and thought the ingredients looked good so I bought a 40 pound bag and it was only $20. I'm glad to see it ranked 110 A+. We have been feeding Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium, which is rated 122 A+, but is now $43 for a 35 pound bag. I have been mixing them together and I think I might switch over to Kirkland.

My brother and his daughter have been watching his co-workers puppy for the past month. She sent a bag of Blue Buffalo with the puppy which is also rated high, 106 A+. They had to take her to the vet (worms) and the vet told them they should be feeding her Eukanuba (which has a low score of 79 C) I couldn't believe a vet would recommend Eukanuba over the Blue Buffalo.

• 6 months later...
Guest SugarFire

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Love this site - I belong to another Pet board" and we use this quite a bit. There is even sections on why things are rated as they are. Check it out.

We feed Taste of the Wild and it is really really good and fairly inexpensive.

I was just about to post about http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/, and incidentally I feed Taste of the Wild too smile.gif I've done a lot of research on this and imo there are few better foods and it is substantially less money than Blue Buffalo, etc.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php/product/1285/cat/8

I like this! Thanks for posting about taste of the wild! Quite a bit cheaper than other grain free brands I'm looking at!

• 4 months later...

"Has anyone heard of Prairie dog food? We just brought our first greyhound home and have been slowly changing his diet from the food he came with. He was on Purina when he arrived and now he is up to 1 1/2 cups of Prairie and a half a cup of purina twice a day. We also have added fish oil to his food. His dumps are fine ,but he is drinking more water. Is that normal? The food was recommended by a pet store whose orientation is healthy and all natural. There is no corn, wheat or soy in this brand. I would love any comments."

Yes it is Natures Variety Prairie and Instinct is their grain free food. Good food. Good as long as your dog does well on it.

• 2 months later...

Please do not put much stock into ratings on Dog Food Advisor or Dog Food Analysis. I just posted a thread about my 'independent research' or DFA. Take a minute to read, and you'll see how failed and biased their rating system is...

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/307918-i-hate-dog-food-advisor/?do=findComment&comment=5713462

Guest Loves4Greyz

Thanks for the list. I am in the process of switching mine over to Kirkland Lamb and Rice from Natural Choice Large Breed Adult Food.

Mine are all getting older and the last group I adopted a dog from uses the Kirkland. One of my pups lived to be 15 and he was fed Kibble and Bits....I was young and didn't know any better.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest Loves4Greyz

Purina Beneful / Score 17 F

Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F

Dang! It seems like you have to WORK to make dog "food" this bad!

Interesting list. I think I'll print it out and include it in all our adoption packets so no one ever asks me again if "X" is a good food...

For the technoloy challenged is there any way to print this post or do I have to copy and print?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Loves4Greyz

I got 98 for Kirkland Salmon Meal and Sweet potato. I tried the chicken and rice but their poop was not easy to pick up....runny. I am changing them to the salmon and they seem to be doing better.

• 8 months later...
Guest sorenkkg

I got 98 for Kirkland Salmon Meal and Sweet potato. I tried the chicken and rice but their poop was not easy to pick up....runny. I am changing them to the salmon and they seem to be doing better.

I'm adopting again in the spring and glad to find this thread and your post in particular. Our precious dogs did well on Holistic (former,y eagle pack holistic) and we mixed the fish one with the duck one.

Expensive though.

I'm looking at the KS salmon and sweet potato also. How are yours doing on it?

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Booradlee

I'm confused - I just looked up Burns chicken and brown rice on chewy.com and it is listed as Pro Pac Burns Chicken meal and brown rice dog food. Okay, here is my question... How did that rate an A+ when the first ingredient is chicken "meal" (meaning, it could be anything, but, it is NOT Chicken but a by product) AND it is NOT recognised by the AAFCO? I use a great site called Dog Food Advisor and use their email alerts for dog food recalls. One of the things I learned from that site is to make sure the dog food is registered AAFCO. Good Grief, the hardest thing about loving your dog these days, is trying to figure out what on earth to feed him/her. I have been going broke feeding my gal Orijen and Sojos mixed together. Both VEERY expensive and I am disabled. I honestly don't mind eating PB&J and healthy soup but, I know I have been spending a small fortune for "Healthy" dog food. Today I read Orijen is being sued for having high rates of arsenic in their food! Since the change over at Chewy, Sojo's has gone up in price and down one pound of food! I can NOT afford it any longer. Worse, my girl was sick about a month and a half ago with terrible watery diarrhea. I have a great vet and thankfully it cleared up pretty quickly, BUT, I have noticed her stools are very loose since then and I am adding Dr, Harvey's Pumpkin (around 30.00 per can!) ever since. I am wondering if the problem is now the Orijen. Arsenic is something that most certainly would build up in her system! There has never been a recall that I know of with Orijen and tons of people sue dog food companies daily. Orijen is going to fight the suit. I just know something is different with my gal and I don't trust the food anymore. (And I am getting a bit tired of PB&J, ha ha) Anyway, I just thought I would ask about how you came up with the rating for Burns and let others know there may be a problem with Orijen and their brands which I believe include Arcana. I am wondering if maybe trying so hard to do what is right for her has in the long run not been the best thing for her. I think I am going to try Kirkland's Chicken and Rice as so many folks seem to like it on this forum. Perhaps because most of our dogs ate Purina from the get go they have systems that from puppy hood grew used to or became acclimated to a lower end food? I would never feed Frankie junk food but, maybe the highest end foods do not necessarily agree with their systems. Then again, Arsenic doesn't agree with anyone or anything! Dang! Petflow does carry Orijen for those of you looking for it and I do think I am also done with Chewy. Price's have gone way up and sizes have gone down. Packing is not as good as it used to be and it just is not the same as it used to be. TIme to start searching for new food and a new online store. Would appreciate feedback. How do folks feel about Fromme. I had her on that for a while and then I think my vet turned me on to Sojo's. I think for now I'm going to try the Kirkland and see how that goes. Switch her over slowly. Love this site and so glad to find so many people who love greys and knowing how many are going to great homes. Thanks and peace to all.

• 7 months later...

I just adopted a new grey - his foster family was feeding him Blue Diamond Chicken and Brown Rice. I've continued that. He had to have most of his teeth extracted, so it helps that it is in small bites that I soak in warm water before he eats. He loves it and snarfs it down. When I took him to the vet for a first visit, she told me Blue Diamond is horrible and to switch to Hill's Science Diet.

Do you guys know if Blue Diamond is still considered high quality, or what she might have had an issue with? She said it gets recalled often.

Do not listen to vets about Hills. I've addressed my views on that earlier in this thread. I flat out told my vet that I wasn't feeding Poodle peanut hulls or sawdust. They finally replaced "peanut hulls" on some labels with "cellulose". Many greys do bette on mid range foods.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg