As They Age

Guest brooke

Guest brooke

my grey is 12 1/2 years old and has developed chronic vomiting. the vet believes it may be a "mega esophagus" which cannot be helped. he mentioned that my grey had lived a long life--longer than most. when i didn't have him put down, the vet suggested testing at about 1000 dollars; which of course would just diagnose. he couldn't treat my dog if it was indeed what he thought. after much readjustment of food and medication, my boy's vomiting has lessened. he's lost weight ( but is maintaining at present. also, he has become very anxious and no longer can stand to be alone or crated. he whines and paces and this leads to more vomiting. i've tried meds for this with some help. he is still active; so, what do i do? :(

Ditto what ahicks said. Didn't think the testing for MG cost that much but if they also added in a few other tests like xray, barium study, etc. that would run the price up. Definitely join the mega-e group & read their strategies for managing this. Dr. Stack from Greythealth has a dog with mega-e. She may be able to offer you some insight. Please don't do anything rash yet. Be very careful feeding your girl. Try very small but frequent meals. Different dogs handle different texture foods better than others. One trick is to find a canned food that can be formed into a meatball that will basically roll down their throat but they must have their heads up & preferably their entire front end. Has is she doing drinking water?

I've also found that getting more than one vet opinion - and personally I've had tremendous results with holistic vets - helps. Holistic vets have cured MANY conditions traditional vets couldn't.

American Holistic Vet Medical Association is one place to find someone near you. there are other, good lists on the internet too.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

I think dmswarzfager had a grey with mega-esoph - she had a system set up for feeding that propped the front end uphill! If she doesn't respond to this, maybe PM her?? ALSO - maybe put mega-esophagus in the title - you'll get more responses for it!!

Good luck

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I think dmswarzfager had a grey with mega-esoph - she had a system set up for feeding that propped the front end uphill! If she doesn't respond to this, maybe PM her?? ALSO - maybe put mega-esophagus in the title - you'll get more responses for it!!

Good luck

Nope, not me. Lots of other weird conditions (my vet told me to just go and get my DVM since I've learned so much already about weird things... :P ), but no mega-e. dwolfe711 (Donna), on the other hand, does have a dog with mega-e.

What food, what medications are you giving? IBS/IBD comes to mind with chronic vomiting, and (one of my greys has IBD) it does get worse with stress.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest brooke
Ditto what ahicks said. Didn't think the testing for MG cost that much but if they also added in a few other tests like xray, barium study, etc. that would run the price up. Definitely join the mega-e group & read their strategies for managing this. Dr. Stack from Greythealth has a dog with mega-e. She may be able to offer you some insight. Please don't do anything rash yet. Be very careful feeding your girl. Try very small but frequent meals. Different dogs handle different texture foods better than others. One trick is to find a canned food that can be formed into a meatball that will basically roll down their throat but they must have their heads up & preferably their entire front end. Has is she doing drinking water?

he does ok with water, which is odd. i've been slowly increasing the amount of canned food/day. he's up to 4-5 cans a day. i have an elevated food dish too. just seems to go in spurts with the vomiting. especially if he gets anxious. leads me to believe there may be another problem. i never thought about dogs having MG. thanks.

Good luck

Nope, not me. Lots of other weird conditions (my vet told me to just go and get my DVM since I've learned so much already about weird things... :P ), but no mega-e. dwolfe711 (Donna), on the other hand, does have a dog with mega-e.

What food, what medications are you giving? IBS/IBD comes to mind with chronic vomiting, and (one of my greys has IBD) it does get worse with stress.

tried tagamet and now on reglan. does ok but i can hear his stomach gurgling and hear air; as if he cannot burp if that makes sense. when he does vomit it just flies out when he's laying there. sometimes no warning "gagging".

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Your vomiting seems more like IBD or absorption issues. Personally I'd get another opinion. Adding digestive enzymes, feeding a diet that has simple proteins, mild grains (oat is good) and is easily digestible may ease the vomiting as well.

It's tough to watch our guys age. But, adjusting their care, modifying their diet can give them many more months to years.

:grouphug to you.

I don't know if this would help at all but have you tried Tums? My Renie has some stomach problems and has had lots of testing including barium x-rays, scoping, ultrasound, etc. I give her Zantac or Pepcid twice a day, Reglan when she starts the gulping sound or seems uncomfortable, and Carafate for a few days after each episode of vomiting. The other day she was laying by my computer desk and her stomach sounded like there was a tornado in it. She had already had Zantac and Reglan earlier so I broke up a Tums tablet and gave it to her and within a few minutes her tummy noises stopped.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest brooke
I don't know if this would help at all but have you tried Tums? My Renie has some stomach problems and has had lots of testing including barium x-rays, scoping, ultrasound, etc. I give her Zantac or Pepcid twice a day, Reglan when she starts the gulping sound or seems uncomfortable, and Carafate for a few days after each episode of vomiting. The other day she was laying by my computer desk and her stomach sounded like there was a tornado in it. She had already had Zantac and Reglan earlier so I broke up a Tums tablet and gave it to her and within a few minutes her tummy noises stopped.

thanks for the tips. those belly noises sound exactly like what jack's tummy sounds like. my husband takes carafate and i think i'll try one of his to see if it helps before buying a bottle. i'll try the tums next vomiting episode. seems like it lasts 3-4 days, then he's good for a few weeks. i have noticed if he sneaks ANY of the other dogs dry food--the vomiting starts within hours. even just a few pieces. this is odd since he ate dry food for 10 years before he developed this!

my vet mentioned the barium swallow and xrays. did they find anything on your renie?