Won't Run, Doesn't Eat Much...

Guest Whippet

Guest Whippet

I don't know what's wrong with my baby... Whippet didn't want to run last Sunday when I took him to the indoor park and usually, he goes crazy and runs non-stop until the end... And he only eats like half of his meals...

Poor baby... Any ideas?

Sophie.

Guest Whippet
Was there a weather change?

No, it's actually an indoor horse paddock... So the temperature is warm. And if you mean the weather in general, it's cold outside, as usual... Huge storm last week...

Sophie.

Guest Whippet

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It was closed today but I'll go tomorrow...

Poor baby, it breaks my heart to see him like this.

Sophie.

Guest lotsagreys4me

You didn't say how old your dog is? If it just happened once, I would give him another chance. Sometimes it could be a simple upset tummy. Did you take his temperature? If he continues to not eat and be uninterested in running and playing, time for the vet visit

Guest Whippet
You didn't say how old your dog is? If it just happened once, I would give him another chance. Sometimes it could be a simple upset tummy. Did you take his temperature? If he continues to not eat and be uninterested in running and playing, time for the vet visit

My baby is 4 years old. And yes, it is the very first time this has ever happenned... No, I didn't take his temperature, I don't have a thermometer...

Sophie.

He's funny though... He will leave his food there but when Astro found that he left his food there (a couple hours after breakfast) he went to eat it and Whippet got angry, barked at Astro and finished the food...

I am worried...

Sophie.

Guest Whippet

Well, Whippet was taken to the vet this morning. After a couple X-Rays, the vet saw that his little stomach was full of something... And I then realized that the little stuffed soccer ball was empty but I figured it was one of my roommates who threw the stuff away but I guess Whippet ate it. On the X-Ray, the vet says it looks like some sort of texture... Definately not food. Luckily, the stuff isn't in the intestines so the surgery will be easier...

I'll keep you posted...

Sophie.

Oh no! Poor little bug. Hope the surgery goes smoothly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Spiff

Oh dear!! Stuffie stuffing is NOT a good thing to eat!! I'll be thinking of Whippet and hoping that his surgery goes well and that he feels better REALLY soon.

oh no Sophie!!!

poor Whippet!!!

big kiss to you and Whip!

I'm anxiously waiting to read news from you!

Whippet all cozy in my house last summer:

whippet1.jpg

:grouphug:kiss2

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest Whippet

Oh my! Josie! This is such a GREAt picture of my baby!!! I didn't know you had that!

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers guys. Whippet is doing very well... And for a good reason... There was nothing wrong with him...

Yup, they opened him up but before opening the stomach, they felt it and the could easily feel that there was nothing in it. They then took all the intestines out to check them but there was nothing... So he just has a long incision and a sore tummy...

They don't know what could be wrong with him though. While inside, they checked everything and it all looks fine... It was probably just a big... A very expensive bug for me... But oh well...

Thanks again guys...

Sophie.

Guest rubyspal
I don't know what's wrong with my baby... Whippet didn't want to run last Sunday when I took him to the indoor park and usually, he goes crazy and runs non-stop until the end... And he only eats like half of his meals...

Poor baby... Any ideas?

Sophie.

She may have an infection. This happened with Ruby earlier this year and she was running a slight temperature so the vet gave her an anitbiotic. She also had some other things going on but she is 10. How old is Whippet? Ruby's doing good now.

:(

Hope he recovers well from the surgery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Whippet
She may have an infection. This happened with Ruby earlier this year and she was running a slight temperature so the vet gave her an anitbiotic. She also had some other things going on but she is 10. How old is Whippet? Ruby's doing good now.

Whippet is only four. The vet thinks it is a gastro... He's eating better now... Not a lot, but more.

He doesn't drink much water though...

I was wondering... He LOOOVES milk... I was wondering if I could give him a bowl or two per day since he doesn't drink water? I usually just let him have a couple sips from my glass... But I'm sure he'd love to have more...

What do you think?

Sophie.

Guest LindsaySF

Poor baby. It's good that they didn't find anything, but weird because you still don't know what's wrong.

I don't know about the milk, being dairy and all. Maybe some flavored Pedialyte instead, if he would drink it?

Guest paulamariez

My Bueller is so NOT a drinker, that when he had his blood tests done, it actually showed that he was dehydrated, much to my surprise. The vet said to get him to drink more, try broth or something, even try bringing the water bowl to him while he's laying down. Well I tried the broth and bringing the bowl and Bueller still wasn't interested. Like your hound, Bueller LOVES milk, but I was concerned about giving too much to him (don't dogs lack the enzyme to digest the lactose in milk?) Bueller doesn't have any problems like the big D or gas from the milk, but I just didn't want to give him too much. I came up with the greatest idea that's working like a charm. I put a little bit of milk, just enough to cover the bottom of the bowl and then add some cold water to it! I water down the milk and I give it to Bueller about 3 or 4 times a day like that. I don't let it sit around obviously, I just fix enough for him to get a nice drink. And it's working like a charm!!! Bueller LOVES to get his watered down milk and I can see such an improvement in the darkness of his pee when he goes!! Of course, we are going through milk like crazy at my house, since the other two want the milk treatment too! But I only give them a little bit. I think it's worth giving it a try, as long as your dog doesn't have any problems with drinking milk.

Edited by paulamariez