Anybody Heard Of This?

Cash is a 8 (almost 9) yr old female black greyt. She is a greyhound "bleeder' and she has a racing injury- a badly broken right hind leg that was left to heal crooked so when she steps she is stepping on the footpad at a twisted awkward angle-not flat on the foot like it should. I adopted her at 6 yrs old and she does very well with routine acupuncture/holistic care to prevent pain etc. and never has any problems. She runs like lightning and is very happy-and beautiful too. It is remarkable. About 6 months ago she lost the outside toenail on that foot and amazingly there was little or no bleeding. It grew back as it was expected to. It got not quite full or normal length and is gone again! Once again there is little or no bleeding. It is very sore of course. All other toes, in fact everything else about her, is in wonderful condition so the only thing I can atttribute it to is perhaps it is taking the brunt of the abnormal forces put on that twisted paw when she runs and breaks off. But it is inside the toe where it breaks off. You can't see the nail after it happens. I'm not too worried as I know I can just put Therapaws on that foot and it probably won't happen again but I thought I would mention it in case any of ya'll had a similar thing where they lost their toenail, and then lost it again before the new one got fully growed back in. As in aside about 3 months ago my 5 yoa male greyt lost the same toenail on the same foot! There was a lot of bleeding when it happened but it too healed quickly and the new nail is growing out. It has to be a coincidence because I don't wnat to think that now I can expect his to come out again too! I have had several greyts for many years and have of course had toe issues before but until this happenned hadn't had any to lose a nail.

Guest longdogs

Angel has something like this. One of her nails looks different, white and grooved with no obvious quick. It seems to grow for a while then drops off, maybe once a year while she's doing laps around the garden. It doesn't bleed much but is tender for a few days afterwards. The vet thinks it is the result of an old toe injury.