Taylor Hurt Her Eye

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

Hi everyone--

I was just wondering if anyone had any wisdom about dealing with this one.

This morning as everyone was giving us enthusiastic greetings, Taylor got whacked in the eye with Rita's tail. GSOD all around! Now she is holding it shut, and it looks quite irritated.

I am wondering if I should just give it some time and if it is not better in a day or so should I take her to the vet, or does this warrant an ER visit? She just looks so uncomfortable, and I am not sure what I can do to help her with the discomfort. Of course I am also worried about infection.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!

Oh, and did I mention that I have been to the vet so often in the past month that I should now own stock in their practice?????? :blink:

I love my dogs!

Poor Taylor! :sad1 A similar thing happened to Merlin about a year ago - he was being goofy and doing zoomies in the apartment and before i could stop him he bumped his eye really hard against the side of a door... ouch! I did call the vet - actually it was the first thing I ever had happen to Merlin so I panicked and called the vet. They gave me some eye-drops (Butler's Neo-Poly-Gram) for the swelling, and it went down very quickly. Since it was the first time something had happened to merlin after we adopted him, I think I panicked... I bet it would have been fine in a day or two. Is Taylor's eye very swollen? Does she seem in pain? If that's the case, you might want to take her to the vet. I would get her to rest in the meantime. Sleep can do wonders for healing! If she doesn't look too uncomfortable, that is.

Good luck! :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest taylorsmom
Poor Taylor! :sad1 A similar thing happened to Merlin about a year ago - he was being goofy and doing zoomies in the apartment and before i could stop him he bumped his eye really hard against the side of a door... ouch! I did call the vet - actually it was the first thing I ever had happen to Merlin so I panicked and called the vet. They gave me some eye-drops (Butler's Neo-Poly-Gram) for the swelling, and it went down very quickly. Since it was the first time something had happened to merlin after we adopted him, I think I panicked... I bet it would have been fine in a day or two. Is Taylor's eye very swollen? Does she seem in pain? If that's the case, you might want to take her to the vet. I would get her to rest in the meantime. Sleep can do wonders for healing! If she doesn't look too uncomfortable, that is.

Good luck! :)

Thanks so much for your response! Poor Merlin, that must have really hurt!! Taylor's eye is not swollen but she is holding it tightly shut and seems quite uncomfortable. I imagine it feels like a poked eye, I am just hoping that her cornea was not scratched from Rita's tail, which is like a whip!! I cannot even pry it open to look at it (of course I am not forcing it right now, I don't want to make it worse for her). I wish I had an eye patch for her!!

She is resting now, and I guess I will wait a little while before deciding about the vet.

I would see the vet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would see the vet.

:nod :nod :nod

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I also would see the vet. I can tell you...my eye was the victim of Flashy's happiness once and that HURTS!!! I hope Taylor feels better soon. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I would see the vet. Eyes are nothing to fool around with.

That was my thought when I took Merlin to the vet - didn't care about being branded a helicopter mom (which I was)... when it affects the eyes, I'd rather take extra precautions. Without seeing her, it's hard to tell though. You know her best. How is she feeling now?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest taylorsmom

Yup, eyes are nothing to fool around with!!

Just got back from the e-vet (thanks everyone for the encouragement--I called right after Batmom's post!!). I am so glad I went. They checked for corneal scratches and there aren't any, thank goodness, but her eye is really irritated and painful. Even after numbing drops and a drop of medicine, she is still holding it tightly closed, poor girl.

Thanks again, everyone. Now hopefully Taylor can rest easier today, and I know I will now be able to enjoy my holiday knowing I did everything I could to take care of her. Rita's whip of a tail is a force to be reckoned with, that's for sure. I caught it across the back of my legs a few times, and the pain of that was enough to make my eyes water, so I can just imagine how poor Taylor's eye feels!!

Happy Holiday to all :P

Awww...hug the girls for me. You are right...You will enjoy your holiday knowing that Taylor was seen and is on drops now for discomfort...that REALLY hurts. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest taylorsmom
Awww...hug the girls for me. You are right...You will enjoy your holiday knowing that Taylor was seen and is on drops now for discomfort...that REALLY hurts. :grouphug

Thanks, Patti! :grouphug back to you!

Glad there is nothing serious wrong!

Batman caught me on the cheekbone once with his wagging tail, full force. I had one heck of a welt there (plus it sounded like a gunshot and scared the peanuts out of me -- I was driving).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytmonty

The Matthew Ryan Center at Penn is going to have a Monty/Taylor room named just for our hounds!

I hope Taylor is feeling better today!

Sweet Pea, our bulldog, had a really nasty corneal scratch last year and within two days she had her eye open again. Taylors got no scratches so give her plenty of rest and I bet tommorow she will feel much better and start to open her eye.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest taylorsmom
The Matthew Ryan Center at Penn is going to have a Monty/Taylor room named just for our hounds!

I hope Taylor is feeling better today!

Oh man that is sooooo true, Karen!! You know what is so funny about that--when I was at the emergency room with Taylor yesterday, there was a fourth year vet student who came in with the vet who also saw us with Dr. Palmeiro the week before!! I was so surprised to see her at a whole different hospital, but I think that is pretty telling when you are on a first name basis with the vet students :lol !! It was like old home week, very weird; but she was a very nice person and loves my dogs.

BTW, Taylor is doing MUCH better today, her eye is almost completely back to normal. Thank goodness for eye drops!