Found A Lump

Today I found a lump on my dear princess, Rascal. It feels to me like an encapsulated lipoma, so I am not about to panic. It is on the outer portion of her armpit area. Buddy's got a bunch of lipomas, but this one on Rascal seems a lot larger, about the size of a "bouncy ball" that my kids used to play with. It is easily moved around, doesn't seem to be attached to anything. I guess the size of it is what got me....I could visually *see* it, and that is how I actually found it, by seeing it.

I think the plan will be to keep a close eye on it and hope nothing else develops.... :unsure

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Sounds harmless, but I'd have the vet check next time you're in anyway. Do people get these things as they age or is it just dogs?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

When I saw the words "lump" and "Rascal", my heart stopped. The size would certainly concern you, but you seem familiar with what it might be. I haven't heard of encapsulated lipomas. Please let me know a little about them---and please tell me it's not serious!

Sending some good thoughts out to you and Rascal.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I've heard them called fatty tumors--every dog I've ever had has developed them later in life, and generally they're harmless unless they're in a place that gets irritated (like under the collar)--you can generally identify them because they move freely under the skin, although I like to get a vet's opinion just in case.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

When I saw the words "lump" and "Rascal", my heart stopped. The size would certainly concern you, but you seem familiar with what it might be. I haven't heard of encapsulated lipomas. Please let me know a little about them---and please tell me it's not serious!

Sending some good thoughts out to you and Rascal.

An encapsulated lipoma is basically a benign fatty tumor within a capsule. You can move it around somewhat, and can tell that it's not "attached". I don't know if they are age-related or not. Buddy, who is 11, certainly has several of them, and Rascal has a teeny tiny one, as well. This one just seemed to pop up suddenly, and it's rather large. You can bet I will be keeping an eye on it.

Interestingly enough, I had a lipoma removed from my shoulder back in November. Mine was UNencapsulated, which meant that they had to remove some of the underlying tissue as well. The plastic surgeon told me that the encapsulated ones are easier to remove, since they just sort of pop out. Mine was about the size of an egg.

Sending my prayers that this is a "nothing" :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Rascals one of my favorites too...resembles my Emissary....I have Molotov sibs too. Hoping it's harmless.

How sweet, thank you! She is a doll. All my pups are Molotov offspring.

Just cause you're so nice, a gratuitous Rascal picture, with her daddy and sister Emily...

rasericem.jpg

Aawww great picture :wub: Sending good thoughts and keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out to be nothing to worry about. :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.