Softee Had Her Toe Amputated

Softee who was 14 in August had an infected nail bed about 11 months ago which we treated and it healed up. The same nail started bleeding again about a month ago and off to the vet again. Back on an antibiotic but it was not healing. I would find small pools of blood where Softee laid and again back to the vet. He told me he wanted to biopsy and then of course amputation. I was very much against the biopsy then amputation due to her age. We were back at the vets with one of the other hounds and I spoke to the lead vet and asked him to look at Softee and right away he said that he did not believe in the biopsy and then amputation either and if I wanted him to operate he would do it the next day which we said okay. The biopsy came back as Squamous Cell Carcinoma and it is supposed to be low grade. After the surgery Softee was hardly limping and today is bounding around like a 5 year old puppy.

The biopsy also said that this is common in large breed dogs so if any of your pups gets a problem with their toes, bleeding, etc. get it checked right away. Please do not play around as there is a very good chance that they can survive for 1 to years after this surgery who know if it is caught in time how long they will survice

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

I am glad that the bad toe is gone. I bet she feels better too! Sending prayers the cancer is gone for good. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thank goodness its a SSC instead of something more dreaded.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Yes she is 14 and her sire was Oshkosh Racey and there are days you would not know she is 14 plus. She eats like a horse and many a day eats 5 cups of dry food along with what ever she can beg off of us. We use dry, a heaping tablespoon of canned and a dash of water. Mix all that up and top with a tablespoon of vanilla yogurt. Heaven forbid if you use plain.

We have been fighting an infected nail on one of our dogs since December. It took 4 vets to find out what the problem was. The vet we are seeing now is treating Lily with antibiotics. She's on her second round of them. The vet mentioned yesterday that we might have to have her toe amputated. I'm glad that it's worked out for your baby.

Guest FreddyGirl

Glad to hear your Softee is up and romping again. Take care of that senior baby! :cookie

5 cups a day! Holy Toledo, what does Softee weigh?

She is very close to her racing weight when we adopted her 9 years ago. Dr. O'Leary told us that when they age they only use about 60% og their food intake and he wanted her genes. She weighs about 55 pounds. Will try and get a recent picture of her posted and she is very thin

Softee is 14? God bless her. Glad to hear she bounced right back and will say a special prayer for this special girl

Yes! Prayers from coast to coast!!!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project