Update On Bonnie Twist

Guest K9Cookies

Guest KRKWMU

Well, my husband's dad lost his battle with cancer and passed away last Sunday, March 2nd. We were in Michigan with the dogs for about a week and a half. Bonnie had a really rough time. At the recommendation of some family members, we drove Bonnie about an hour away for her weekly vincristine injection. Granted this was the day after my father-in-law passed away, but I just didn't like this vet's office. They called us back, not into a room but just into the hallway, to explain and talk to an employee. It wasn't even a vet tech or someone who had any knowledge of medications, or chemo :blink:. I pulled out the case of medications and started to explain what we needed. Her response..."how do you spell that medicine?". UUUUHHHHH! My husband and I were in tears when we left. We drove home and waited to hear from them. Nothing. I called around 3 PM and they told me she was ready to go, no problem. We drive the hour back to the vet's office- they had shaved her front left leg all the way around and did the vincrstine by IV, not injection. And, they didn't give her the Cerenia medication to help with nausea either. We had a tough week after that. No one in the area had the Cerenia medication. Everything went downhill. She wouldn't eat, looked like she was in pain, and overall her health suffered. She threw up three times in the middle of the night and we took a trip to the ER vet Wednesday morning before the funeral. This place gave her an injection of Reglan, took digital X-rays of her belly, and gave us some Reglan tablets to last the rest of the week. I got a much better vibe at this place, thank goodness.

I left last Wednesday and drove through the night because I HAD to work on Thursday. Things got a lot better when we got home. Bonnie improved and her appetite was much better. We fed her whatever she would eat whenever she acted hungry. She's gained a pound back since the trip to the ER vet in Michigan. Yesterday (Monday) we took her to our vet's office. I think he expected a pathetic bag of bones (we had been in contact with him several times while in MI). He thought Bonnie looked good. Her bloodwork was all normal. They gave her the fifth weekly injection of vincristine and then the Cerenia later. She's been playing the past few days and today she ate pretty well.

So, talk about ups and downs! :eek Thanks so much to all of you for your good thoughts and prayers. I tried to check GreyTalk from the hospital in the beginning, but when things took a turn for the worse, obvious that didn't happen. I'm so glad to be home and get things back to normal. Today was a really nice and sunny day. I took some pictures of Bonnie outside. We received their new Hope for Hounds collars last week. Bonnie is looking so much better! Here she is-

Enjoying the sun. Notice the shaved patches (both sides- bottom of neck, and now left leg)

IMG_1560.jpg

Staying close by my side

IMG_1567.jpg

Hearing something

IMG_1571.jpg

Laying down, wanting lovin'

IMG_1564.jpg

Bonnie Twist, our patchwork girl, hanging in there!

IMG_1556.jpg

Edited by KRKWMU

Guest jettcricket

Hey Kristin....first off I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL.

Secondly your girlie looks terrific!! Sorry to hear about her tummy problems, but glad to hear that she's feeling better. I've been fortunate with Jett. No tummy issues at all with his chemo. Boy has a cast iron belly. :lol

How many more treatments does she have to go? That stinks about the problems that you had with the vet that were treating her last. It's so important to find good, competent Doctors especially with something like this.

Sending you good, positive healthy thoughts for your baby girl. Please keep us updated! :)

Guest KRKWMU
How many more treatments does she have to go? That stinks about the problems that you had with the vet that were treating her last. It's so important to find good, competent Doctors especially with something like this.

Sending you good, positive healthy thoughts for your baby girl. Please keep us updated! :)

Our vet (along with Dr. Couto) recommended 8 weeks of vincristine injections. Yesterday was #5. I can't believe we have 3 more weeks to go. It seems like we've been doing this for a LONG time! After that, I think the treatments still continue, just spaced out a little more.

Our girl does look pretty good for going through all of this, doesn't she! She's a silly little girl. We're proud of her.

Guest jettcricket

Our vet (along with Dr. Couto) recommended 8 weeks of vincristine injections. Yesterday was #5. I can't believe we have 3 more weeks to go. It seems like we've been doing this for a LONG time! After that, I think the treatments still continue, just spaced out a little more.

Our girl does look pretty good for going through all of this, doesn't she! She's a silly little girl. We're proud of her.

Jett just completed his 4th chemo treatment and will also be receiving a total of 8 treatments like Bonnie. He's also on vincristine and they are alternating it with lomustine. Mast cell tumors don't always respond to just vincristine.

I pray for both our babies to be with us for a long time to come.

I am so sorry to hear about your FIL. I think Bonnie looks wonderful! Kiss her for me. LaceyLaine's legs were shaved and she received all of her chemo IV.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so sorrry about your FIL! :bighug I am also so sorry you had such a hard time there with Bonnie! Thank God you are home and everything is getting back to normal. I know Bonnie must be very happy too. That was a very hard week, please give your dh our sad condolences. I am so very sorry about his dad.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I too am sorry about you husband's dad. And your little girl is a complete doll.When I read stories like this I'm always impressed at how you all handle it. Some say you have no choice but to handle it. I would give my life for my dogs, but I don't know that I would pull out of it and still be sane. Bless you for taking such good care of Bonnie

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest twilliams

We are so sorry Drew's dad lost his battle with cancer. Please give him our heartfelt condolences. You guys have really been through a lot lately. Bonnie looks really good and I'm so glad her lab values are good!! That is a very good sign. Hang in there.

Guest vahoundlover

My deepest sympathies to you and your family :grouphug

I'm sorry Bonnie had such a hard time of it...glad she's doing much better now!! She looks GREAT!!

Guest KRKWMU
I too am sorry about you husband's dad. And your little girl is a complete doll.When I read stories like this I'm always impressed at how you all handle it. Some say you have no choice but to handle it. I would give my life for my dogs, but I don't know that I would pull out of it and still be sane. Bless you for taking such good care of Bonnie

Honestly, it has been really rough. We are completely exhausted. But, it will be worth it in the long run.

Bonnie has to go outside a couple of times during the night every night. We haven't been getting much sleep. And, it's been a big struggle to get her to eat anything. The past couple of days she's been eating deli meat (turkey and ham) and not much of anything else. Mid-week is definitely the toughest. That's when the chemo side effects kick in. Tonight I offered her so many choices and she ate a little cottage cheese and some kibble out of my hand, plus the the deli meat. I'm sad for her and frustrated at the same time! Please help me get through the next 3 weeks!

Bonnie will be tucked in my prayers as will you and your family. And may you find the strength you need to get through the next 3 weeks. As much as you love and care for Bonnie, I bet you find that strength.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. :cry1:grouphug

I was also very dismayed to read about the shabby treatment Bonnie got in MI. The whole experience sounds like it was absolutely exhausting for you all. I am glad to see that Bonnie is feeling better, she looks amazingly healthy and as beautiful as ever. I can never get enough of seeing pictures of her and her gorgeous eyes :wub: :wub:

Hope you have been able to get a little more rest over the last few days. Is she still getting up during the night? How is she doing this week?

Sending hugs. :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest KRKWMU

Bonnie is doing better lately. She's certainly eating much better. We took her in yesterday for the 6th vincristine injection. She weighed 51.0 pounds and that's up about 3 1/2 pounds from the ER trip when we were in Michigan! :banana

I think DH and I are finally getting the hang of how, when, and what to feed her! We threw all of the supplements and Chinese herbs out the window for right now. I think that was part of my problem in the beginning. I so desperately wanted her to eat all of that stuff and she just didn't want to do it! <_< I have an email in to our holistic vet about what we can do instead. I was thinking about adding a fish oil capsule because we could sneak that in with her other medications and the probiotic.

I've been doing a lot of reading about treatments, supplements, and other options. All of the "rare" chemo side effects that I've been reading about, we've seen them. Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, and hair loss (starting to see this on her thighs)- we've worked through all of these. It's been so easy to second guess what we're doing. But, I know that Bonnie is looking and feeling OK right now so we'll just keep plugging away. When we're done with the vincristine injections (2 1/2 weeks...the countdown is on) then we can gradually add the supplements and herbs back in and get things back to normal. She is still going outside in the middle of the night, but not as often.

Thanks again for all of your good thoughts. GT is part of the reason we've been able to gather strength and get through these tough times. All of the good wishes and support really does help us. Keep it up, please! :D

Thanks again,

Kristin and Bonnie too!

P.S.- She's playing with a long snake squeaker toy right now and driving me crazy! I'm not complaining though...I'm loving it! :blush

Yay! So glad to get this update! :yay :yay :banana:yay

We're all rooting for you Miss Bonnie Twist!! :kiss2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Yay! So glad to get this update! :yay :yay :banana:yay

We're all rooting for you Miss Bonnie Twist!! :kiss2

Ditto this....she's always in our thoughts and prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Keep up the great work, Kristin. You'll get her through it :):grouphug

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Such a nice updated...sending my hope...sending my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest CyndiW

Oh Kristin, I am so glad that Bonnie is eating well, gaining weight, and playing!! You all have been through so much in these last weeks and I know it must be wonderful to see her feeling more like herself. She is such a beautiful girl!!

Eating is such a tricky thing for them. My other dogs probably think I have lost it because I do a lot of clapping, dancing, and happy talk when Alex eats. They probably wonder why I don't praise them as heavily for eating.

I decided to go on ahead and post an update on Alex because I don't think I have posted since he was dx. I get on here and read a lot (and lymphoma heart dogs too) but I rarely post - it is just usually a quick speed read to check on updates and see if anyone new needs prayers.

Give Bonnie a big hug and kiss from us............ Cyndi and Alex

Guest LolasMom

That's an understatement. She looks wonderful! :wub: What a precious and sweet face she has. A real heart melter. :beatheart

I'm glad that she is doing so well after what was obviously quite an ordeal for everybody. Sending more prayers that she keeps beating this thing.

Good grief - I'm sorry to hear about this (I've only just read it)! I think I'd have been tempted to report that practice for incompetence!!! One does not mess around with chemo drugs. At least one woman has died here and one has been paralysed for life when doctors injected Vincristine into the wrong place - these poor souls had it injected into the spine. :(

I'm so glad Bonnie recovered from that one and continues to do well. She is gorgeous! :wub:

I'm sorry about your FIL, too. :bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop