Spray For Ticks?

Guest stacy_1

Guest stacy_1

I am having a huge problem with ticks right now. In Phoenix between all the rain we got and the early warm weather, my yard is a jungle, and the bugs are apparently having a hay day. I've never had ticks before this.

So I'm looking into getting Frontline for the pooches. But my questions is, do I have to spray the yard too? What can I use around the grey? Or do I need to do that once I get the frontline? I'm really worried about using anything because of greys being so sensitive to everything. I've only had my grey since October, so I'm still learning about them. And my other dog is a small lab mix that is almost 15, so I'm a litle worried about her too.

Any direction would be much appreciated!!

Thanks all!

We treated with Frontline; be careful- they'll come off the dogs in the house. Check ears and the underside of feet in particular. We didn't spray the yard; Tito came from the pound with dog ticks and soft ticks- and his fur was so thick, we didn't see them for 3 weeks.

Store collected ticks in alcohol.

ETA: Cut the grass short and turn off the sprinklers!

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I know it sounds crazy but you can spray the dog with vinegar & drop the ticks you remove from them it abottle of vinegar too. The dog only smells like a pickle for a short time but this something that can be repeated more often than the Frontline. Also here in north TX the ticks seem to have built up a resistance to Frantline. When I have a lot of fire ants I didn't have ticks but last year we had so much rain in the spring the ants were drowned out so we had a terrible tick problem.

Clear out any brush you can, cut the grass short, rake up any vegetation on the ground. Ticks thrive in that stuff. From what I've read on the subject, spraying is a pretty temporary fix, and you really have to soak the ground, any leaf litter, etc.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest vahoundlover
Clear out any brush you can, cut the grass short, rake up any vegetation on the ground. Ticks thrive in that stuff. From what I've read on the subject, spraying is a pretty temporary fix, and you really have to soak the ground, any leaf litter, etc.

:nod cleaning up brush, vegetation and leaves are VERY important. I know some have used Sevin dust 5% or the spray...I know with the spray you have use high water pressure and lots of the spray ...the yard has to be completely dry before any animals can re-enter. You would probably have to reapply the dust or spray periodically and you have to stay on top of any fallen vegetation. Frontline won't prevent ticks from climbing on your dog...it kills them once they are on the dog. I keep alcohol and tweezers all over the house...HATE HATE HATE ticks :sick

We cut back all ornamental grasses during tick season to the ground.