Bone Marrow Cancer - Osteocarcoma?

Guest suzye

Guest suzye

Are they the same thing? Jazz platelets are getting pretty low and we don't know why. The tick panel from North Carolina was negative. I guess she could still have it but it's unlikely. Jazz is in kidney failure and her HCT dropped from 47 to 37 this month. It had been stable since diagnosis of kidmey failure last October. She's getting subq fluids (400-500ml per day) but the amount didn't increase much between the last 2 tests, so it would seem the HCT drop is related to a decline in kidney function. If her platelets drop any more I will be afraid to poke her! I googled low platelets and the most common thing that comes up is tick disease and then bone marrow cancer, hence my subject line. Actually her protein intake is down about 10g now since she won't eat eggs anymore. That started just before the last blood test and I don't know if 1 day's drop in protein would have such a dramatic effect on HCT.

Her lipase is scary high. In January it was 3000 (normal range 200-1800) so we the did the CPL test and it was negative. We did an ultrasound and everything except her kidneys were fine (cyst, nodule, infarct). Since that time she's had no rx kidney food, no hamburger, no yolks, and only a teeny tiny bit of fish oil (to emulsify the COQ10). There's no more fat to take out, so this can't be a diet problem. Her stool has been a little orange for awhile and she hsn't had any pumpkin in over a month. Today it was a little bit slimy looking for the first time.

Why are her platelets low? Why is her lipase the highest my vet has ever seen? Other than this and her HCT drop, everthing is pretty much the same. WBC is OK (5.6). Her BUN was 52 at the end of January and 77 at the beginning of March, so that wasn't good, but creatinine was pretty much the same, surprisingly. Her blood pressure shot up again so we added Amlodipine. She's now on Sulcralfate 1x, Benazepril 2x (10mg), Amlodipine 1x (5mg). I'd give her Sulcralfate twice per day, but on days I work I cannot manage it. People keep telling me to learn to take the BP at home but I'd have to figure out what to buy and the vet would have to train me. I just don't know how much more I can do.

Someone online mentioned she may have a gallbladder problem, but her U/S was clear, so just don't know. She is a medical mystery.

I'm so sorry she is so sick . The short answer is no osteosarcoma is NOT the same as or related to a bone marrow cancer.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest suzye

Thanks Susan. I meant to put "=" in the topic but my message was understood anyway. :-) Thank you for your reply. I'm spending so much money on tests and only finding out what's NOT wrong (maybe) and not what IS wrong. I'm sure most people here know the feeling. Maybe I should just give up and just try to enjoy her while she is still here. I just keep thinking I might get a break and she will have something we can fix or control, such as tick disease, but then that's not it....

How low is the platelet count? Can you post bloodwork results?

http://www.greyhound-data.com/dir/393/Grey...d_Bloodwork.pdf

Platelets

Greyhound: 80,000 - 200,000

Other dog: 150,000 - 400,000

Likewise, greyhound platelet numbers are lower on average than other breeds, which might be

mistakenly interpreted as a problem. It is thought that greyhound WBCs, platelets, and total

protein may be lower to physiologically "make room" in the bloodstream for the increased red

cell load.

Confounding these normally low WBC and platelet numbers is the fact that Ehrlichia, a

common blood parasite of greyhounds, can lower WBC and platelet counts. So if there is any

doubt as to whether the WBC / platelet counts are normal, an Ehrlichia titer is always in order.

The other classic changes with Ehrlichia are lowered PCV and elevated globulin and total

protein. But bear in mind that every greyhound will not have every change, and Ehrlichia

greyhounds can have normal CBCs.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest suzye

Oops, I meant to. Low platelet count plus kidney disease is the reason we ran the tick panel. My vet is considers tick disease as ruled out now.

3/3/2008 = 119

1/26/2008 = 186 (counted by human not machine)

1/18/2008 = 162

12/21/2007 = 195

12/13/2007 = 153

11/21/2007 = 251

all previous tests 200 or above -- usually low 200s. One result in 2004 was 520.

How low does it drop before I should stop sticking her? How low before she becomes deathly ill?

Sounds like pancreatitis.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest suzye
Sounds like pancreatitis.

That was ruled as much as anyone can do so, first by CPL test and then ultrasound because I just wouldn't be convinced.

My first thought would be Ehrlichia--there are a couple of different strains--did you test for all of them?

I wouldn't hesitate to give Dr Couto a ring--he's the Hematology man to ask!

We got the tick panel from NC. Includes "E.canis, B. canis, R. rickettsia, B. henselae, B. vinsonii (By IFA) + Snap ® 4DX ® for Lyme/Ec/Anaplasma/heartworm." I also requested "Babesia gibsoni, Leishmania infantum, Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme)". The Lyme may have been a duplicate. I think I heard on this forum that NC is one of the best. What more could I do??

Dr. Cuoto - I can just call him up? I've seen his name fly around a lot, but I don't have his number. I have to admit I'm afraid just to call someone out of the blue.

We are praying for her and hoping for a positive outcome. Sorry we have no advise. We are so sorry she is soo sick. :bighug:hope:hope:hope:hope:candle

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Dr. Cuoto - I can just call him up? I've seen his name fly around a lot, but I don't have his number. I have to admit I'm afraid just to call someone out of the blue.

i felt the exact same way you did, then i finally got the nerve to email him and i'm so glad i did. please don't hesitate to cpntact him :).

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest suzye

i felt the exact same way you did, then i finally got the nerve to email him and i'm so glad i did. please don't hesitate to cpntact him :).

Thank you for the info.

Edited by suzye