Lou's Neck

Occasionally, Lou (TK Lumiere) sometimes throws his neck out.

It hasn't happened since 2006. Today, it happened again. I came home to find my buddy with his head hanging low and screaming in pain.

I have some dexamethasone and he is now laying still and resting.

I am so afraid when he moves.

Please keep him in your thoughts and hope no visit to the E-vet tonight

:cry1:getwell:hope:hope Poor Lou! Bless his heart! I know that must hurt!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Poor Lou, can the vet see him on tomorrow?

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Ouch! :( Sending loads of prayers and light to your Lou. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Lou seems to be much better this morning, we had a rough nite, but he was able to go up the stairs to go potty.

He ate and I took a mental health day to be with my pupper.

I know others have had this problem.

What has been your experience? I know the vet will want me to take him for an MRI.

Do they sedate for the MRI? Where do they perform them?

Guest MorganKonaAlex

My Morgan has thrown his neck out 4 times in the 9 years we've had him. The first 2 times, we gave him pred. and valium and it would seem to pop back in a few days later. Morgan can't tolerate opiates so we had to discontinue the pain med. We kept a supply of the medications on hand in case it happened again. After the 3rd incident (more pred and valium) he had xrays which found nothing. Later he was diagnosed with Osteo. in his front leg and had it amputated. When the 4th incident happened, it really incapacitated him. We were carrying in and out. We went to a neurologist. He had recovered somewhat before the appointment. Between being 3 legged and an old injury to a back toe, his gait is pretty weird. While I could tell it wasn't his normal hop, the neurologist couldn't. I was convinced this last episode was from his jumping a few steps off the patio so I build him a ramp. So we have never really figured out why it happens. At this point he's 12.5 years old and 2+ years past osteo and we won't put him through an MRI.

I hope Lou is feeling better today.

Carrier has neck problems and it doesn't help that he has three legs, so the momentum when walking puts a lot of strain on his neck. If you haven't already, I would recommend having him seen by a chiropractor before you do an MRI. The adjustments have done wonders for Carrier and although he still hurts his neck occasionally, an adjustment puts him right straight away. Plus, it's only $30 as opposed to $1000 for an MRI.

Also not to scare you, but Carrier also started having these problems before he was diagnosed with Osteo... almost the same situation as Kris (MorganKonaAlex) was describing above.

I posted a topic about the signs we noticed with Carrier Signs we noticed with Carrier before he was diagnosed with osteo

We didn't know it was his neck that was causing him the great deal of pain in the beginning, we thought he hurt his shoulder.

Sending healing thoughts to Lou.

Edited by LadyBailey

I realized what might have tricked off the neck pain.

We went for a walk yesterday morning and Lou (the big wuss) heard the wind and russling of leaves and now I remember how he nearly pulled me to the curb and he jerked himself!!!

That is so painful. Sending prayers and hugs too. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest MorganKonaAlex
Also not to scare you, but Carrier also started having these problems before he was diagnosed with Osteo... almost the same situation as Kris (MorganKonaAlex) was describing above.

I posted a topic about the signs we noticed with Carrier Signs we noticed with Carrier before he was diagnosed with osteo

Just FYI - I don't think Morgan's neck problems are related to his osteo. HIs first neck episode was years before his osteo. I think it's something he's predisposed to and he aggravates it by jumping off the back steps.