Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

Dr C called me today to tell me that she'd gotten a partial result on the panel in. Jet is positive for Ehrlichia Canis (which we knew), Ehrlichia Anaplasma (which used to be known as E. Equii, and didn't show on the snap test for some reason), and, worryingly, RMSF.

Fortunately, all three are treated by doxy, which he's already on. (Thanks to everyone for their help with the tummy troubles-acidopholus and pepcid seem to be helping.) She's worried about his platelets though, and Hubby took Jet in this morning for a platelet count; it came back at 86. She'd like to retest next week, see if the doxy is helping, and if it's not, then she said she'd tap our Luke and/or her Colin for a transfusion, if necessary, or there are several drugs he could have as a booster.

This sort of came out of left field for us since he isn't displaying any of the primary symptoms, except the uveitis, which could also be from the Ehrlichia. So my question is what's your experience with RMSF? What symptoms did you see? I'm kinda wondering if this didn't happen slowly enough that we didn't notice it-he *seems* ok, not lethargic, etc, but I'm wondering if he's not going to have a big bounce back when he feels better. What other kinds of things should I be watching for? Hubby came home with a fairly comprehensive print-out, but it seems like there's always something the "books" don't mention.

Poor Jetster. At least he likes to ride in the car!

Oh, poor baby. I don't have any advice as I have no experience with RMSF, just wanted to send healing thoughts your way.

:grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

My girl, Chick, has just finished her doxy for treatment for RMSF. She was symptomatic before putting her on the doxy - lethargic, poor appetite, and was showing some soreness in one shoulder. She's now much better - close to being back to her old self - active, eating better (she's always been a picky eater) and the soreness seems to be gone. When we started the doxy it took a while before we started seeing the improvement - I'd say 4-5 days anyhow. Good luck!

Pat

A normal Greyhound can have platelets as low as 80,000 so 86,000 is not overly concerning. I tend to investigate things at <100,000 but again values as low as 80,000 can be normal. Unless the level is dropping below 80,000... I personally wouldn't pursue a bone marrow aspirate. I would definitely NOT pursue immunosuppressive medications such as Prednisone or Azathioprine or Cyclosporine to "help the platelets" unless they dropped significantly (they could make treatment of the TBD more difficult). A "transfusion" would not be necessary unless the platelet count dropped below 25,000... and even then platelet transfusions may only help for a few hours so are rarely warranted. Here is some information on low platelets (this is specifically when the immune system malfunctions and attacks the platelets... but it is still good information):

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1412

Also... RMSF is an acute disease... it is not something that slowly comes on. The dogs get sick and get treated and recover or they get sick and don't make it. Ehrlichia can lie dormant for years... not RMSF.

Last thing... remember that the TBD titers only test for exposure and are not diagnostic for disease... so although she tested positive for 3 diseases... she may not actually have all 3.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest FireHorse
A normal Greyhound can have platelets as low as 80,000 so 86,000 is not overly concerning. I tend to investigate things at <100,000 but again values as low as 80,000 can be normal. Unless the level is dropping below 80,000... I personally wouldn't pursue a bone marrow aspirate. I would definitely NOT pursue immunosuppressive medications such as Prednisone or Azathioprine or Cyclosporine to "help the platelets" unless they dropped significantly (they could make treatment of the TBD more difficult). A "transfusion" would not be necessary unless the platelet count dropped below 25,000... and even then platelet transfusions may only help for a few hours so are rarely warranted. Here is some information on low platelets (this is specifically when the immune system malfunctions and attacks the platelets... but it is still good information):

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1412

Also... RMSF is an acute disease... it is not something that slowly comes on. The dogs get sick and get treated and recover or they get sick and don't make it. Ehrlichia can lie dormant for years... not RMSF.

Last thing... remember that the TBD titers only test for exposure and are not diagnostic for disease... so although she tested positive for 3 diseases... she may not actually have all 3.

Good to know-thanks for the link! Also, thanks for the reminder that exposure =/= disease... which makes sense, given the low titer for the RMSF. (Unfortunately, the titers for the various Ehrlichias are high enough to suggest an active infection and not just exposure.) This has definitely been a learning experience for us!

Regarding platelets, Dr. Bill and I disagree (as well as me & Dr. C).

I have not had a greyhound under 150,000 since my first two greys (when I felt I didn't know any better--did they have a TBD? probably :( ) I do chart my guy's blood work and if the platelets are falling, I feel there is a problem. With doxy treatment (even without a TBD panel), I've had many come up in platelets, the last being Huston who went from 104,000 to 179,000 after 8 weeks of doxy. Same with Toots, her platelets kept dropping and were down to 132,000 and after the imizol injection they jumped to 239,000.

If I remember right, the greyhound platelet issue was considered and the number lowered by A&M (Dr. Herron--a greyhound breeder) Since this is a tick state, I question the result and decision to lower the acceptable platelet count, especially since the 21 (I know, not a lot, but it's more than one :) ) greys I've had have not had platelets under 150,000 if treated with doxy.

I wish vets (more than just mine) would take greys with the lower platelet counts and put them on doxy and just see if they come up. It's a study I'd love to see happen.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits