Residual Skunk Smell

Guest Greyhoundsrock

Guest Greyhoundsrock

My hound got skunked early yesterday morning. I used the peroxide/Arm & Hammer/Dish soap mixture and most of it is off.

There is a residual smell on his face that most folks could live with but it's driving my sinuses crazy. I used a wash clothe to clean his face twice with the mixture taking care not to get it in his eyes.

Any other safe suggestions to remove the residual smell from his face?

Thanks

You can try vinegar and water, mixed 50/50. I don't believe it will hurt the eyes too badly (but someone please correct me if I am wrong!) if you get some in them, but obviously, be careful.

You will have to live with the smell of a pickled Greyhound, but that's better than the skunk!

Remember, though, that skunk musk is an oil, so it's unlikely to wa** all off. There will be some residual smell for a while, especially if the hound gets wet.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Can't offer more advice than already given. Be very careful around eyes! First time Shadow was skunked, it was the top of his head and neck. I kept his head tilted backwards when I washed him. The smell BTW will come back if your pup gets wet before the oil completely goes away.

Robin, Judy, and Shadow

the forums built in auto-nanny obviously does not like the missing letters, 'sh' and 'it' even a hyphen cannot prevent it from accomplishing it's mission of political correctness and zero tolerance, however non-anglosaxon versions are acceptable, poop, dung and faeces, coprolites, are ok the 's' word and the other 4 letter one starting with cr and ending in ap are also not considered polite. i got an auto-warning for using the last one about a certain political figure that was full of it. i'll probably get one again for this ;)

a certain person who shall remain nameless but who controls the list used to have the word 'ferret'

automatically changed to 'rat' as he does not like the cute little devils. he has recently softened and it no longer does.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest Greyhoundsrock

Thanks for your help! Maybe I'll just end up getting some doggy perfume!! haha Doesn't sound like much else will help enough.

When my babes got skunked it was MONTHS before the odor left their faces. I would think that it was gone and then if they went out in the rain...It was baaack! :rolleyes:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

• 4 months later...
Guest harveydogsfo

Our first post....and it's all because of a skunk!

Harvey went ballistic and tried to devour the skunk that happened to be in the yard this morning. Suffice it to say that we were horribly unprepared, but we tried several of the already-described options over the course of the day. Tomato juice was not so effective. Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor removal was somewhat effective. Hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/dish detergent actually seemed to work the best. But the poor guy is still fussing with his eyes. Anyone have any good ideas for relieving the eye irritation?

Tomato juice only works if you let it dry on the dog, then wash it off - but then you will have a pink dog, if he's light-colored! Same with the Nature's Miracle skunk odor remover - but you don't wash it off.

For the eyes, the best thing I can recommend is LOTS of saline. Flush like crazy. Otherwise, call your vet tomorrow, and ask what their recommendation would be.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Ok, this is what I have learned many pink dogs later :rolleyes: :

Tomato juice does not work on skunk smells other than temporarily to confuse YOUR nose! :colgate Google Tomato juice and skunks if you don't believe me! Neither does vinegar. You just get a pickle smelling dog and vinegar in the hound's eyes will really sting!!

This is the only formula that worked for us when we lived in the city and the pups got skunked regularly (they never learn):

1 quart (or liter) of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, H2O2. Use fresh (unopened) hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Note: Opened HP turns into H2O in time.

1/4 cup (50 ml.) of Baking Soda

1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of any dishwashing liquid

1 gallon water

This solution is nasty so do not use near the eyes (see below).

Saturate the dog (preferably outdoors) leave solution on for a few minutes. Rinse well. Rinse again. Shampoo and rinse again.

The above formula will also work on you and your clothes. Use ALL the formula or pour it away. It will expode if you try to save it.

I have heard that commercial douche can be used near the eyes, but I never risked it. I just lived with the smell.

Good luck!

Edited by 2whitegreys

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

I have heard that commercial douche can be used near the eyes, but I never risked it. I just lived with the smell.

Commercial douche is nothing more than vinegar and water...

Guest FireHorse

FWIW, when our old lab got skunked, the vet advised a healthy slathering of vaseline in and around the eyes, and then wash (repeatedly if necessary) with the peroxide mix. The vaseline won't hurt the dog (and will feel better than soap, vinegar or peroxide), and will come out with a warm washcloth and natural blinking/tears.

After the third skunking, we kept a "skunk bucket" in the garage-a construction bucket with a bathtub sprayer in it, dish gloves for two people, a pile of rags, a tub of vaseline and the makings for the peroxide mix. It saved us running to the drugstore every weekend so we could deskunk Bo. He was a great dog, but dumb as a box of hair. He just couldn't seem to get it through his head that poking at *all* of the ones with the white stripes earned him a bath!