Major Wipe-out In The Backyard

Guest Bester

Guest Bester

Popcorn wiped out in the backyard this morning. I'm talking a major one too. He decided to chase a squirrel, hit a patch of ice and off he went... on his side, then his back, then he flipped over and got the other side too. He slid for a good ten feet on the ice/snow. I got the GSOD and without even thinking ran out in the backyard wearing nothing (NOTHING!) to make sure he was okay. He just sortof laid there for what seemed like eternity and then slowly got up.

Now, a couple of hours later, I have a super duper sore boy who's started groaning and moaning everytime he gets up. He can't get comfortable enough to pass the day away doing his favorite activity... sleep until Mommy's home from work. He's got little boo boo's everywhere. It's mainly just minor scrapes and nicks on his joints. But he's got a major one on his chin and behind his ear (don't ask me how). Not enough skin left to stitch up but you can tell it's bugging him.

Any little tidbits of wisdom I can use to help stop the licking? Promote healing? Lessen possible scarring? Make him (and me) more comfortable? thanks.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Personally, I would take a visit to the vet just to make sure nothing internal has been damaged or any ligaments/tendon damage from the skid.

The vet can also prescribe an anti-inflammatory or pain reliever too.

Hope the healing goes quickly.

Guest greyvettech

Hey- poor guy....I would take him to the vet and have him checked over just to make sure he doesn't need any antibiotics -or atleast try to get some non-steroidal anti-inflammatorys to keep him comfortable while he heals...

Sending some healing thoughts and gentle scritches to the sweetie.

The only thing I would do is put a light shirt on him (a tee shirt or something to hide any owies on his body and front legs), and maybe give him an aspirin with food to help with soreness.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I would take him to the vet for some pain meds. When my Jesse wiped out he mostly had scrapes and a few cuts. The vet cleaned them and sent him home with a pain reliver (Rimidyl (sp)) He was fine a few days later.

Guest Bester
Personally, I would take a visit to the vet just to make sure nothing internal has been damaged or any ligaments/tendon damage from the skid.

I'm at work right now and can't stop thinking about him... called the vet and they said the same thing. Off we go as soon as I get home

Sending some healing thoughts and gentle scritches to the sweetie.

The only thing I would do is put a light shirt on him (a tee shirt or something to hide any owies on his body and front legs), and maybe give him an aspirin with food to help with soreness.

I put a long sleeved shirt on him before I left. I hope this helps. How's Echo doing?

Guest taylorsmom

If you can get them I would recommend homeopathic remedies such as Arnica or Traumeel--they work wonders for inflammation, bruises, bumps and sore spots! And without the side effects you can sometimes can have with Rimadyl, etc. You can sometimes get them either in ointment form or in pills that can be melted in water and squirted in the dog's mouth. Calendula ointment or spray also works extremely well for burn-like skin scrapes, and is totally non-toxic if it is licked off.

Guest Che_mar_Cody

glad to see he's seeing the vet. Mine was chasing squirrels (no ice) but ended up spraining his front leg. Wishing good thoughts and quick healing.

Guest greyvettech

hydrogen peroxide can actually cause tissue damage and really all that it is used for in veterinary medicine is to clean blood off of an animal...it shouldn't be applied directly to any wound..use a disinfectant such as betadine solution or chlorhexidine....

If you can get them I would recommend homeopathic remedies such as Arnica or Traumeel--they work wonders for inflammation, bruises, bumps and sore spots! And without the side effects you can sometimes can have with Rimadyl, etc. You can sometimes get them either in ointment form or in pills that can be melted in water and squirted in the dog's mouth. Calendula ointment or spray also works extremely well for burn-like skin scrapes, and is totally non-toxic if it is licked off.

I too am a big fan of Traumeel, and it has arnica in it. But with the flipping around that Popcorn did, I would have him checked as well.Please post if you can with how he's doing. Thanks

hydrogen peroxide can actually cause tissue damage and really all that it is used for in veterinary medicine is to clean blood off of an animal...it shouldn't be applied directly to any wound..use a disinfectant such as betadine solution or chlorhexidine....

I'm glad you posted this because I've wondered about peroxide. I was always told that using it once was fine but not to continue with it because it killed the good bacteria.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greyvettech

I too am a big fan of Traumeel, and it has arnica in it. But with the flipping around that Popcorn did, I would have him checked as well.Please post if you can with how he's doing. Thanks

I'm glad you posted this because I've wondered about peroxide. I was always told that using it once was fine but not to continue with it because it killed the good bacteria.

Can you tell me more about Traumeel? TY

Last time I did this I got bashed and quoted out of context..but guess that poster can bash away. Traumeel is a homeopathic remedy. It's an anti-inflammatory and also contains arnica. The vet who did the acupuncture on one of my dogs suggested I buy the gel form and massage it into the pain area.My boy was also on other meds for pain.I use it on all my dogs for muscle pulls, arthritis and things of that nature.Right now I'm using it on one of the dogs for neck strain. I have seen it help them. I know it also comes in pill form but I've no personal experience with that form but I know other people do.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest taylorsmom
Last time I did this I got bashed and quoted out of context..but guess that poster can bash away. Traumeel is a homeopathic remedy. It's an anti-inflammatory and also contains arnica. The vet who did the acupuncture on one of my dogs suggested I buy the gel form and massage it into the pain area.My boy was also on other meds for pain.I use it on all my dogs for muscle pulls, arthritis and things of that nature.Right now I'm using it on one of the dogs for neck strain. I have seen it help them. I know it also comes in pill form but I've no personal experience with that form but I know other people do.

I have used Traumeel in pill form myself and for my dogs, and it really can work well and quickly. If you find the pills, you just dissolve two or three in some water, and then have your dog either lap up the water, or squirt in the mouth using an eye dropper. Same thing with arnica in pill form. I have seen bruises practically disappear in an hour after using arnica on myself. Just don't give your pup any food for at least 10 mins. before and after a homeopathic remedy.

I agree with cbudshome--lots of flipping around, it would be important to check everything out and maybe have a chiropractor look at spinal alignment to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be!! Please keep us posted.

Peroxide can kill live tissue, which in turn becomes food for saprophytes. It is particularly dangerous with puncture wounds. (Not that there were any puncture wounds here- I'm just sayin'.)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest FullMetalFrank

Your poor guy, I am glad he will be seeing the vet. He is probably really sore and they can give him something for pain if he needs it. Hugs!

Guest Bester

Took Popcorn to the vet last night after work and they checked him over. By that time, he was already purple from all the bruising (he's a white dog with a black mask). He looked horrible. He'd started favouring his back leg when we got there so I had them check him out.

So, x-rays, antibiotics, cream, some pain killers later and one very relieved owner... I have a clutzy but lucky dog according to the vet. He didn't break anything, but did pull a muscle in his leg. I'm glad I listened and took him in. Our vet said the road rash cut on his chin will take the longest to heal.

Better safe than sorry. Good to hear there were no serious injuries. Hope Popcorn heals up quickly poor guy. He was just having fun...tell him to take it easy now and feel better. And thank you for posting

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Glad the vet was able to get him in quickly :)

Hopefully he'll heal uneventfully! Those squirrels sure are cunning.

How's Echo doing?

She's doing okay, but still acting very sore today. :( Hoping that in a few days we'll start seeing our crazy woman again.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Oh poor...poor baby. Feel better soon sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Hugs to your boy and yourself. Glad nothing worse than the pulled muscle and some road rash (altho that's bad enough!).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Another fan of arnica (going to look up traumeel). I find it works best if you hit it early. The earlier the better. But even later it's better than not using it. I'm a big klutz and bruiser myself, so I keep it handy in both pill and gel form for me and mine.

Hope Popcorn is feeling better soon! Poor boy!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.