Should I Be Concerned About A Swollen Foot?

Shadow had surgery to remove a tumor from his knee on Wednesday. He's got 3 long (3-4" ) incisions running down his right leg. This afternoon I've noticed that his foot is pretty swollen.

He's not bandaged at all - just a bunch of sutures and a pair of kid's sweatpants on :blush The vet looked at his wound today because Shadow popped one of the sutures. He said it looked better than he expected at this point.

So should I worry about his foot swelling? Or is this a normal part of the healing process?

Thanks!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest GiJenn51

YES! The swelling can actually cut off circulation to his foot/toes.

That's how a dog I recently had lost his lost--one of the reasons.

His leg should be wrapped to cover the toes to minimize this for that reason. If you have a picture it would be better. But if it's more than twice the size I'd be concerned.

Editted for spelling.

Edited by GiJenn51

If it's not wrapped, I don't see that it's going to cut off the circulation ...

Swelling post-op can be due to interference to the natural drainage, or locally reduced circulation. It's usually temporary, but if it's very swollen, I'd call the vet and talk it through with them.

If he'll let you, you can gently massage the foot.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest GiJenn51

Misundertood me--- My foster had no wrap-- and lost his leg due to the extensive swelling in the foot.

A wrap can help "compress" to prevent the excess fluid from even getting to far down.

OK, just got off the phone with my vet (who, by the way, is an abolute gem!). Since Shadow got his daily dose of Metacam not too long ago, we're going to see if that helps the swelling. Fingers crossed that it does. If not I'm to bring him in first thing in the morning to be admitted for the day. If it gets any worse than it is now I'm to call him back.

Thanks for your input. I was trying not to bother my vet for a second time today, but really it's what I should have done in the first place.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest GiJenn51

Ya know-- I love it on GT-- you've got people like Judy-- silverfish-- with sooo much vet tech experience and the experience of an owner.

You might want to try a bag of peas wrapped in a towel for 15 minutes twice an hour to see if that helps the swelling. Also-- and only if you think it's OK-- but you may want to try GENTLE massage of the foot to get the fluids up the leg.

Ya know-- I love it on GT-- you've got people like Judy-- silverfish-- with sooo much vet tech experience and the experience of an owner.

Oh, and I hope I didn't come off like I don't appreciate the input. Just, in this case, there ended up being conflicting opinions. I was hoping for a resounding "No, it's perfectly normal, don't worry about it another moment!" :rolleyes::P

The support I've gotten through this whole thing with Shadow has been great.

Guest GiJenn51

No worries-- Judy and I are friends!! You will almost always get conflicting info on here. But what you should do is what you think is best for your situation.

Guest sheila
Oh, and I hope I didn't come off like I don't appreciate the input. Just, in this case, there ended up being conflicting opinions. I was hoping for a resounding "No, it's perfectly normal, don't worry about it another moment!" :rolleyes::P

The support I've gotten through this whole thing with Shadow has been great.

I don't think anyone thought you didn't appreciate the input. Its often difficult for someone on the other side of a computer screen to picture what you are seeing on your end and they just give the best advice they can based on the way they understood your post to read.

When in doubt I think it's usually best to see or talk to the vet who is treating the animal (which you did). Good vets never mind or consider it to be a bother to take that call.

No worries-- Judy and I are friends!! You will almost always get conflicting info on here. But what you should do is what you think is best for your situation.

Yes we are, and yes - you have to make the final judgement.

But it wasn't really conflicting. I did misunderstand what Jenn was saying, in that I thought maybe she'd missed that it wasn't wrapped. Sorry Jenn! :lol

There's always the outside chance that the swelling will be more than what you'd expect post-op, so she was right too. We have no way of knowing how much interference there was with the joint itself, or the surrounding tissues, and things can go badly wrong with drainage in the limb, circulation, infection, or even clotting disorders, in rare cases. So, if the limb is badly swollen, or hot, or you're very concerned for any reason, it's always a good idea to talk with your vet. He or she is the one who knows what was done and what to expect and they usually really don't mind you checking in.

How is he this morning?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Shadow is having such a rough time of it. I'm feeling like a pretty bad mom right now :(

His foot is still very swollen, so I'll be taking him in this morning. He was uncomfortable all of last night and neither one of us got much sleep.

The good news is that his foot, although swollen, isn't hot and isn't painful. I'll be glad when the vet is able to take a look.

Good for the vet to see it, but chances are it really is just normal swelling. The lower leg doesn't have much tissue for fluid to absorb. When Zema had a skin-deep slice down her leg (and what seemed like 40 million staples), she got some swelling, and it took a couple days of anti-inflammatories for it to go away.

Hugs and luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Took Shadow to the vet this morning. He popped open his sutures and things are looking pretty gross. But the vet is happy with the healing process and feels the swelling is normal, given the circumstances. We are giving up on the sutures as the skin is just too tight there.

Shadow will be getting better pain relievers and will be coming home with me tonight. It's going to be messy, but I'm glad he'll be home with us.