My New Foster Stormy

Guest Merrygohounds

Guest Merrygohounds

Introducing Stormy. Stormy is my new foster boy. Just got him last Thursday. He is 2 1/2 and such a sweet boy.

He is learning how to go up and down steps fine but shiney floors are a problem. Not sure what he thinks about the cats yet.

I have dog beds all over the place like lillly pads so he can walk around the house. He will stop on one and wait until I lay another one down

before he will move forward. Any suggestions on how to get him to stop extending his claws down on the floor like ice skates when he tried to

walk on the wood floors?

Stormyweb2.jpg

Stormyweb.jpg

Guest GreytMuse

Welcome to GreyTalk!

What a gorgeous pup! I don't have any floor advice, but if you don't get answers here, you might try posting this problem in the Training/Behavior Section, where many wise people hang out! :)

Guest Spencers_Greyt

He's a cutie! I have been lucky that my fosters don't freak out on tile floors. But I have mostly carpeting so it was never a huge deal anyway.

Pop & Zelda like to dig in their claws while stretching, so we tap their paws and say 'no claws'...Pop has picked up on it and now will stretch and keep his claws in the air...Zelda is still learning, but is getting much better...it's probably not the same as what you meant, but this is what we've done with our 2 (we have hardwood in the dining room which will be pulled up and matched with the rest of the house once we're done remodeling, so we're practicing on the bad hardwood so they'll be good when the good stuff comes in the future.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Sahara puts her claws out when she panics on slick floors. It of course makes her slip and she starts to scramble/panic more. The only advice I have is to trim his nails very short, and try to get him used to the floors. If he is food oriented, see if he will follow a treat onto the wood floors. If he is focused on the food, he may not care as much about the floors. Sahara is much better now than when we adopted her 1.5 years ago, but she still has moments where she gets scared.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Hi,

I bought a length of the underlayment used to hold down area rugs at Lowes and ran it in runners between rugs -- Razzle signed my brand new hardwood floors the first week he was in the house! But, houses are to live in not to hang ornaments, so he helped me over the "being delicate" phase when I moved in to my remodel.

He has a terrible time with the slick floors at day care on and off -- it's odd, he gets it for a while then fogets--keeping the nails trimmed short as possible seems to help a lot!

a Mom

a Maltese

and

Razzle Dazzle

He is stunning, congrats!! I have hardwood in many rooms but have runners everywhere, My male likes to stretch and pull his claws back, lots of scratches in floors, my female is afraid of the floors but walks on the runners, good luck.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Merrygohounds

Well I am sad but happy for Stormy at the same time. He has a new forever home. He will be going home on Friday. I am already crying. This is surely the hardest part of being a foster mommy.

Guest mrsdubya

Hi... I am new to GreyTalk and it was so weird that I found this post... I AM ADOPTING STORMY!!! His new big brother (Odie) and I can't wait to bring him home!

Wow, this forum is so high tech... and I have been using computers all my life. I teach how to draw objects in 3-D using the computer but this is going to take some time to get used to... I can't even figure out how to post a picture!

Anyway! Hi everybody!

Traci

(mom to Odie and gonna be mom to Stormy)

Hi Traci,

Congratulations on adopting Stormy! He is a sweet, sweet dog.

Edited by Saharasmom

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds