Grandpa

Guest karma98104

Guest karma98104

Grandpa has been with me for 3 days now. He is VERY picky about what he is eating- so far green tripe canned food and satin balls are where it's at- he is turning his nose up at everything else. He started eating yesterday and is really painfully under weight (I'm guessing about 7 or 8 pounds underweight at least).

We are waiting for blood tests to come back to make sure all is ok. Here are my questions:

1. How many 1" satin balls should he be eating in 1 meal? I gave him 6 this morning and plan on trying to feed him 3x a day if he'll have it. I know TOO much food at this point can be bad too, right? Is this a meal replacement that will give him all the nutrition he needs or should I still be trying to get him to eat dog food?

2. Grandpa is licking the insides of his front legs raw. I don't see any indication of fleas or anything else so I'm thinking it's just stress. Should I put anything on them to soothe them or to make him stop licking?

Thanks so much!

No idea about the satin balls, but would be interested in the answer.

For the legs, I'd bath them in diluted betadine (there is a betadine skin cleanser - haven't used it but would check it out), rinse well, dry, and then if they aren't too raw spritz with bitter apple.

Would also request a referral to a dermatologist.

Guest CampWhippet

Offer him food first and if he doesn't eat any give him the Satin Balls. If you've made them into ione inch balls there is nothing wrong with him eating 6 3X a day.

The licking of the legs is usually a sign or stress or discomfort. Is he doing iot all the time or when you are away? Is he being crated?

Guest karma98104

I caught him licking for the first time last night after lights out- but it's fairly red and angry looking so I'm guessing this has been going on for a while without my noticing.

Not crated, he has the run of the house with my other whips, although I did set up a crate for him which he seemed to like the first day and hasn't gone into since. He seems to park his little butt on the couch and doesn't really move around much. He doesn't show any stress when I leave, no signs of SA. Today he is clearly stronger and less frightened but he is retreating to my bedroom to be alone.

We had the problem with licking with Penny when we first got her. I went to Target and got a pair of tights made for toddlers, cut the legs off and put them on Penny's legs. It seemed to reduce the licking when she had to lick cloth instead of her skin.

Good luck with sweet Grandpa!

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

With older animals I don't like satin balls because of the pancreatitis possibility. Can you feed him something like canned EVO instead? Boiled roast beef? You can soak kibble, blend and make some balls with some kibble in it :)

Ask the vet if you can try some benedryl and see if it helps.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

When Happy was being sooo picky (and she came to me so skinny you could file your mail using her ribs :P ), I tried lots of stuff. I ended up soaking her kibble and adding about 25% of the total meal as canned, then mushing it up 'til it was all the consistancy of canned.

Are his teeth bad? Happy's teeth were so bad when she came (and now only has half of them left), I think it was just too painful or difficult to deal with the little rolly polly kibbles. Mashed, she can kind of wolf up mouthfuls more easily. She seems to enjoy the fish oil supplements, too. Mmm! :P And a dollop of non-fat plain yogurt. And a sprinkle of nutritional (not brewer's) yeast (has B12: appetite stimulant as well as gives vigor, and all the pets LOOOOVE it!) (but go easy on it, or you'll get nasty farts! ;) ) And a ground-up glucosamine tab.

:D

Good luck finding just the right mix for your old guy!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Legs: Try giving them a good rinse with water (or the diluted betadine, or diluted Nolvasan), rinse rinse rinse, pat dry, smear on just a bit of cortaid or other anti-itch cream, socks if he'll let you.

Satin balls are pretty nutritious. Might see if he'd like a scrambled egg, too -- might generate some gas but it's good nutrition (the egg, not the gas :lol ).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest karma98104

Thanks everyone! Well when I got home from work today it was like NIGHT AND DAY! I was greeted by four very happy very tail waggly energetic whippets and Claire my lovely big lazy baffoon :)

He is spunky, energetic, playful... CRAZY!!! :)

His blood tests came back normal, his stool sample went to the vet this morning.

Thanks everyone for the great advice- I am sooo relieved to see such a quick improvement!