Lyme Vaccine

Same here - we do live in a Lyme endemic area, but my vet doesn't recommend it due to efficacy issues. I just stay on top of tick control :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Once again, different vets have different opinions! I travel to Nantucket, and it is a hotbed of Lyme disease, and my vet pretty much insists that I get the vaccine.

I am aware that it may or may not help--but it doesn't seem to hurt, so I figure even if it only reduces the chance of getting the disease it's probably worth it for me.

I've actually NEVER pulled a tick of my dog on Nantucket--but my father and sister in law have both had Lyme, and my brother had Babesia (sp?) and ended up in the hospital.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest spider9174

I had it given a year ago. It's one of the vaccines I don't think is necessary every year. I'll probably hold this year and give it again next year. I do live by a forest preserve, so I see the benefit in taking the precaution.

Guest HeatherDemps

I've never given it and don't have any plans to. We don't have a lot of ticks here in town (thank goodness!). I onlyl do the rabies vaccine anymore. My little italian won't venture off the sidewalk most of the time :) and Dempsey is 12 almost and going through chemo so no way am I going to do the vaccine with him. Since I don't have to deal with ticks here, I don't really know a heck of a lot about the vaccine.

Guest formercatlady
Same here - we do live in a Lyme endemic area, but my vet doesn't recommend it due to efficacy issues. I just stay on top of tick control :)

I just took Abby & Kira to the vet and we discussed this very topic. My vet said that he would love to see any information I can get about the vaccine, b/c all he gets are medical journals and of course they ALL recommend it. Does anyone have anything - websites, etc?