Degloved Toe

Guest TankDiveGirl

Guest TankDiveGirl

So Hank degloved his toe on friday night....

He ended up with about 10 sutures, retention sutures, no damage to joints or tendon sheathes, just the skin was peeled completely back.

Problem is -- His Cone is too small!! Because he has the typical narrower at the top than at the shoulders greyhound neck, the cone fits properly but slides back.

We put a sock over his foot and taped it when we left today, but he still managed to lick some, and he won't stop.

Anything we can do?

(We can't afford to get him another cone right now...his sutures cost $400 b/c he had to go to the Evet)

Any Ideas?

J

Tape up the big holes on his muzzle and use that. (leave the ones at the nose end open, just in case he vomits) The muzzle is generally less stressful than a cone too.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

The cone we have for Jake has these little clips and they put gauze though them so we tie the gauze around his neck so the cone doesn't go anywhere. Would that be an option in your case?

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest JacksMom

Jack currently wears the medi-paw only when he goes outside. For general trips outside it is fine, but when we walk outside I have found that it is not waterproof. Also the vet gave us a small size and I don't think it is tall enough. The top sits just above the "ankle" bone and slips down if I don't get it place just right. I would recommend the medium size.

Taylor Degloved his front foot early January. We kept it wrapped every day for almost a month, til it look like it was "granulating" (I think that is the right word). We found if we put a nonstick gauze bandage with the medicine over the wound, and then wrapped it with that self stick adhesive wrap and then put a sock over that and taped it above his elbow-the bandage kept everything clean and he mostly left it alone. We tried all sorts of sprays and none of those worked. It is looking so much better finally. Good Luck!

Guest TankDiveGirl

Well, he went back to our regular vet today, and they ended up pulling ALL the stitches and bandaging him -- so it looks like we'll be doing bandage therapy for the next three weeks or so. Dr. Jones said that he's going to be fine, and it wasn't infected, but his tendon sheathes are definitely showing, so i HOPE it will granulate alright.

He also gave us a bigger cone with a more adjustable neck, so even if it does slide back, it doesn't look like he will be able to lick or mess with his bandage -- we'll use it when we're not home as my DW won't let me put tape on his muzzle (she thinks that he won't be able to get a drink if he needs one, and we're gone pretty much from 8-6).

BUT... at least it wasn't another $400!

*hugs*

Jamie

FWIW, I taped Joseph's muzzle like this:

yetanotherview.jpg

bottomview.jpg

onthedog.jpg

He could get a drink but couldn't mess with his stitches enough to do any damage.

Evil looking injury, I'll bet. It should heal up fine, tho. Just might take a little while. Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.