Peeing In His Sleep

Guest chaoran22

Guest chaoran22

I plan on calling the vet about this tomorrow but thought I'd ask here. My boy's been peeing in his sleep. not a lot, about a couple of tablespoons will leak out in his sleep (on his leg, or on the bed). I noticed small yellow stains on his bed and wasn't sure it was pee (didn't smell like it) and didn't know until today when i saw pee pooled on his leg as he was sleeping (on my bed!). he had been dreaming before I saw the pee so maybe it came out when he was dreaming? does anyone else have this problem? i'm going to try to take him out earlier in the morning although he seems to have no problem holding it - see if that helps at least...

any thoughts would be appreciated.

As long as there are no medical reason(s) for him doing this, the following was suggested to us by Pop's foster mom for Zelda (Zelda's bladder is farther back then normal, which the vet said could cause her to leak some urine while sleeping, but we haven't seen it yet so we haven't put her on this yet, but if she starts leaking we will try it).

"Ask your vet about phenylpropaline. It tightens the sphincter muscles and helps with urine leaking. One of my dogs is on it as a maintenance drug and it works like a charm. It's not costly either."

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

If your vet rules out other medical issues, you might consider chiropractic adjustment. My bridge boy, Keno, used to have the issue sometimes after he ran or played really hard. I can't give you a techical explanation, but basically the nerve in his spine that controls the bladder sphincter was getting pinched when his back was out of alignment and it caused him to leak urine in his sleep and dribble a bit upon standing.

Hope he's well soon.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I agree with chiropractic (by a certified AVCA vet). I'm sure vet will do a urinalysis first.

I, personally, will never use PPA. I know I've been lucky--only sleep turds here :rolleyes:

why are you against ppa?

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest Tigonie

Defintely do the blood and urine checks as well as a complete physical by your vet. The tests are not that expensive, and could rule out (or uncover) problems with kidneys or UTIs, etc. You may also want to dress him in a belly band until you get the root cause worked out. Besides keeping the pee off of your bed and other places, it can also help you keep track of incidents.

Guest chaoran22

crazy week and i haven't kept up with this post. i want to echo the question of why you're against PPA just so I can hear your opinion and make a better decision if that is something my vet suggests. We haven't gotten in yet unfortunately - but have an appointment for tomorrow so we'll see. She said (on the phone while making the appointment so she hadn't done any tests, etc. at that point) that it could be something serious (metabolic or diabeties) but she doubted it (he's always been healthy and is not 5 years old yet) and said it was more likely than not crystals in the urine (which irritate the urethra and make him leak when he's sleeping). Her dog had it and she said it was an easy fix. So we'll see what the tests turn up tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
Guest GreyMom3
If your vet rules out other medical issues, you might consider chiropractic adjustment. My bridge boy, Keno, used to have the issue sometimes after he ran or played really hard. I can't give you a techical explanation, but basically the nerve in his spine that controls the bladder sphincter was getting pinched when his back was out of alignment and it caused him to leak urine in his sleep and dribble a bit upon standing.

Hope he's well soon.

PPA works very well for some dogs. But in others, it can have some really bad -- and unpredictable -- side effects. Such as stroke.

I too would be extremely reluctant to use it. IMHO better to exhaust all other possibilities first, and give a try only if the situation is otherwise unmanageable.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greytdog00

My Shotzie had sleep peeing issues too. Vet put her on PPA and she didn't really improve to 100% no peeing. When she was on the PPA she didn't seem herself (not bouncing around, a little lethargic). Her vet then recommended a dental. Low and behold after the dental, no more peeing. BTW Shotzie is 10.