Has Anyone Heard Of Retroperitoneal Hemangiosarcoma?

Guest MZH

Cullen Man is home! I was astonished when the surgeon called at 8:30 today and said he's good to go. We couldn't believe it.

The incision is about 12" long and is diagonal on his side. Gee, that's gotta hurt; I'm not sure 4 tramadols and a rimadyl over the course of a day is going to be enough pain relief, but we'll see. He's got to have pheno and sodium bromide too, so maybe they'll help along with an antibiotic.

He's getting around pretty good too. Strange but when he breathes deeply the place where the tumor was inflates and deflates like a balloon. I guess (I hope) that's normal. Anyone know?

Marcia

Marcia, I think that's normal, they had to move the soft tissue around, so his lungs are probably poking through a little.

Oh my gosh I'm so glad he's home. Mary told me it was on a muscle vs an organ...what a relief. You are still in my prayers though...

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like an eternity since I started this thread, but we finally have the pathology report so I can finally add something new. I wish it were good news, but it's not. The surgeon thought he had gotten clean margins but the oncologist said the tumor was incompletely excised. :( She offered us 19 rounds of radiation for 5 days a week and then chemo 5 times (doxirubicin), then 6 months of Cytoxan. Not sure why as the dogs who live 600 days with this protocol have clean margins, so we see no point in doing this. Better to have him be happy for the short time he has left than burned and sick from radiation and chemo.

We will give him a good diet and supplements and hope for the best that we might actually have him for a year instead of the projected 6 to 9 months. Bummer all around but I must say that right now, he's happy as a clam!

Marcia and crew in SC

It seems like an eternity since I started this thread, but we finally have the pathology report so I can finally add something new. I wish it were good news, but it's not. The surgeon thought he had gotten clean margins but the oncologist said the tumor was incompletely excised. :( She offered us 19 rounds of radiation for 5 days a week and then chemo 5 times (doxirubicin), then 6 months of Cytoxan. Not sure why as the dogs who live 600 days with this protocol have clean margins, so we see no point in doing this. Better to have him be happy for the short time he has left than burned and sick from radiation and chemo.

We will give him a good diet and supplements and hope for the best that we might actually have him for a year instead of the projected 6 to 9 months. Bummer all around but I must say that right now, he's happy as a clam!

Marcia and crew in SC

Oh, I am sorry to hear this bad report. I do think you are making a good choice for Cullen, though -- and with luck, the tumor will move more slowly than expected. How is his recovery from the surgery going?

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

right now, he's happy as a clam!

And that is the most important part, isn't it? Sending hugs and hopes you get to spoil him, and he you, for longer than anyone expects.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Marcia and crew in SC

Oh, I am sorry to hear this bad report. I do think you are making a good choice for Cullen, though -- and with luck, the tumor will move more slowly than expected. How is his recovery from the surgery going?

His surgical site is almost healed. (It'll be two weeks on Wednesday.) Thanks for asking! May the tumor regrow far slower than his healing process is moving. That's a wonderful thought to keep in mind.

Marcia

right now, he's happy as a clam!

And that is the most important part, isn't it? Sending hugs and hopes you get to spoil him, and he you, for longer than anyone expects.

Yes, being happy as a clam is important and is a wonderful gift. He's such a lover; he really has spoiled us with his affection and attention!

Marcia

Awww crap. We are keeping Cullenman in our thoughts and prayers here. :hope :hope

Aww crap says it all. It's better than giving us false hope, I suppose. We appreciate those thoughts and prayers. Thank you.

Marcia

Oh Marcia, how I wish the news for Cullen was better. Finding the good in this is hard, but we'll rejoice that he is happy right now and pray for many, many more happy days to be shared with your sweet boy.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Oh Marcia, how I wish the news for Cullen was better. Finding the good in this is hard, but we'll rejoice that he is happy right now and pray for many, many more happy days to be shared with your sweet boy.

Thanks, Lucy. I can assure you that he's happier today than he was the day you came and visited us; he was somewhat under the weather back then in Sept. Go figure; I don't think he appeared to be under the weather as he adores having company. :colgate

He's feeling darned good now. We also started feeding raw, as he started refusing kibble, and are giving him presumed and proven anti-cancer supplements. If it buys him time, great; if not, he's so happy it will still have been worth the changes.

Rita's happy too. Raw agrees with her too. :lol

Marcia in SC