Phenobarbetal And Appetite

Guest becstock

Guest becstock

I recently put my baby girl, Sylvie on Phenobarbetal and my vet warned that it may increase her appetite to the point where she may eat anything in site. I came home form work yesterday to discover she had been chewing on the corner of our coffee table. Do I give her more food to eat, will that make her fat?

Edited by becstock

If you increase her food she'll gain weight. Her body should adjust to the meds soon and she should be quite as hungry. I give Saint a couple of small snacks during the day so that he always has something in his stomach. It doesn't have to be a full meal, a couple of small cookies will do.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

The medicine makes her hungry. If you put weight on her the medicine will need to be upped and you really do not want that. Child proof Sylvie from herself.

We have 2 seizure greyhounds. One has to wear a muzzle with muzzle cup most of the time to protect her from herself. She will eat anything.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Yep, it makes them hungry. It will take a while to adjust to the meds, but she will still be hungry once she is used to the meds. You can give her some small snacks (cookies or part of her meals) during the day or you can give her low cal stuff like veggies during the day as well.

Guest houndlover

Maybe you could add something to her food at her normal feeding times also. I agree with Trudy about the veggies. They are low cal and will fill her up. My guys like raw baby carrots and I also will give them no salt added green beans with their kibble.

Guest becstock
Yep, it makes them hungry. It will take a while to adjust to the meds, but she will still be hungry once she is used to the meds. You can give her some small snacks (cookies or part of her meals) during the day or you can give her low cal stuff like veggies during the day as well.

What kind of veggies would you give? I thought about carrots, but I'd be afraid she's choke on them.

Piper chews baby carrots and pieces of celery and broccoli nicely so try those for your hound. I also cook a variety of vegetables--what ever is on sale in frozen bags--to put in with his food. It gives him added volume. Also, he is a dedicated yard grazer so I think maybe he needs some greenery. As others have said, things may settle down a bit as she adjusts to the meds. Piper tends to take about 2 weeks to adjust whenever his PB dose is changed.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.