Bleeding Gums

Guest ellieb

Indigo has had bad teeth since we adopted her in November of 2006. The rescue group did a spay and dental on her before we picked her up. At the time of the dental, she had 19 teeth extracted. Her gums were a mess. She finished the antibiotic that they sent home with us.

My vet saw her 9 days after her surgeries. She prescribed 30 Antirobe 150 mg at that time because her gums still looked awful. Two weeks later (at a follow-thru exam) the vet sent us home with another round of the Antirobe and some Enzadent oral rinse.

I started using the Oxyfresh oral hygiene solution, too. Since then, she has continued to have really bad breath and tender looking gums. Vet says "she is always going to have bad teeth".

This week, I started using a (1 teaspoon of Listerine diluted in 1 cup of water) solution, daily. I rub it on her gums with a cotton ball. She doesn't mind it at all.

Today I bought some CET X-large chews for her and Max. While chewing hers, Indigo's gums are bleeding a bit. She seems to like it and keeps gnawing on it. She eats kibble and Milkbones with no problem.

Should I be worried? Should I take the chew away?

Thanks for your input!

Ellie & the hounds

I have a 10yr old female with the same problem.Her gums are the worst problem but of course that eventually causes them to have to lose teeth. My vet had recently gone to a seminar and they talked about Biotene, which is a mouth wash for humans. They were having really good success using it on dogs. I have been using it on my Misty for 5 weeks now and it's made a big difference. And even the redness of her gums is gone. My vet checked her before using the Biotene and then 4 weeks after and there was big difference. And no more bad breath at all. Her gums would bleed with the CET chews so I stopped giving them to her. Hope this info helps a bit

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have a 10yr old female with the same problem.Her gums are the worst problem but of course that eventually causes them to have to lose teeth. My vet had recently gone to a seminar and they talked about Biotene, which is a mouth wash for humans. They were having really good success using it on dogs. I have been using it on my Misty for 5 weeks now and it's made a big difference. And even the redness of her gums is gone. My vet checked her before using the Biotene and then 4 weeks after and there was big difference. And no more bad breath at all. Her gums would bleed with the CET chews so I stopped giving them to her. Hope this info helps a bit

Could you explain how you use this? Where do you buy it? Is it a prescription? Thanks.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest sc1911cwp

Many times bleeding gums, detached gums and bad breath are due to periodontal disease. I humans brushing teeth more often actually helps keep the infection down and teeth cleaner. It doesn't happen overnight. However, over time it results in healthier teeth. Usually mechanical removal is required once tartar buildup is established. Without it calculus (hardened plaque) forms and abrades gums. Soft diets are the chief cause. Ask your vet about large bones and rawhide to chew vs biscuts.

Biotene is available at all drug stores, Walgreens...Rite Aid..... It's non-perscription. It's a plaque-biofilm mouthwash. Alcohol free. My vet told me to just put some on a gauze pad and just rub it on the teeth and gums once a day. Gauze vs cotton because cotton will absorb most of it.I use it everyday after brushing Misty's teeth. The difference in her teeth and gums is really remarkable, as is her breath. I will tell you I was a bit skeptical but the results won me over.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

I wonder if the Biotene would be better than the diluted Listerine?

I think if you read the label on both, you'll be able to decide for yourself. Give it a try, I really don't think you'll be disappointed

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

I had DH pick up a bottle of Biotene today. I turned it over and read the ingredients. It is sweetened with xylitol. Yipes! Xylitol is harmful to dogs.

Xylitol Thread

I guess I should stick with the diluted Listerine.

Soft diets are the chief cause.

If you are talking about canned versus dry food I'd have to disagree. Kibble actually does nothing to clean teeth, even though it's not soft, unless you are using one of those dental foods (which work for some dogs' teeth). Some dogs are just predisposed to having bad teeth, while others can eat the exact same food and still keep theirs in very good shape.

I had DH pick up a bottle of Biotene today. I turned it over and read the ingredients. It is sweetened with xylitol. Yipes! Xylitol is harmful to dogs.

Xylitol Thread

I guess I should stick with the diluted Listerine.

As soon as I read this, I was on the phone with my vet....the makers of Biotene...and also UC Davis. The amount of Xylitol contained in Biotene is safe for everyone, including dogs. I couldn't understand why my vet would suggest it, why it was mentioned at this seminar vets attented if there was any doubt about it being harmful. But I guess the point is, whatever is working for you is what you continue with.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

In periodontal disease, it's the tarter that builds up *below the gumline* that causes the most damage. So rinses don't do much to help it, and even though regular brushing is important in minimizing the bacteria stuck to the teeth, under-the-gum cleaning at the vet's is the main treatment.

Guest sc1911cwp
Soft diets are the chief cause.

If you are talking about canned versus dry food I'd have to disagree. Kibble actually does nothing to clean teeth, even though it's not soft, unless you are using one of those dental foods (which work for some dogs' teeth). Some dogs are just predisposed to having bad teeth, while others can eat the exact same food and still keep theirs in very good shape.

Having 20 years of experience in the dental field (humans) and researching the topic before replying led me to post this. You may choose to argue. This was posted to provide something to think about. You may look up the subject in "Care of the Racing & Retired Greyhound for my source. I use others also. If you are saying that tartar and calculus are not the result of a soft diet and not cleaning teeth, and do not lead to dental problems, your very wrong.

What I am saying is that kibble does not clean teeth (unless it is dental kibble). I did not mention not cleaning teeth (as in brushing and vet cleaning) so not sure where you're getting that.

The reason I posted that is because I don't want dog owners to think that by feeding a kibble diet the dog's teeth will get scraped clean.

Indigo has had bad teeth since we adopted her in November of 2006. The rescue group did a spay and dental on her before we picked her up. At the time of the dental, she had 19 teeth extracted. Her gums were a mess. She finished the antibiotic that they sent home with us.

My vet saw her 9 days after her surgeries. She prescribed 30 Antirobe 150 mg at that time because her gums still looked awful. Two weeks later (at a follow-thru exam) the vet sent us home with another round of the Antirobe and some Enzadent oral rinse.

I started using the Oxyfresh oral hygiene solution, too. Since then, she has continued to have really bad breath and tender looking gums. Vet says "she is always going to have bad teeth".

This week, I started using a (1 teaspoon of Listerine diluted in 1 cup of water) solution, daily. I rub it on her gums with a cotton ball. She doesn't mind it at all.

Today I bought some CET X-large chews for her and Max. While chewing hers, Indigo's gums are bleeding a bit. She seems to like it and keeps gnawing on it. She eats kibble and Milkbones with no problem.

Should I be worried? Should I take the chew away?

Thanks for your input!

Ellie & the hounds

Are you brushing? if not, you should be EVERYDAY! My Polli has bad breath now but when we adopted her she had breath bad enough to stink up our 3200 sq foot home... no joke. She lost 17 teeth and it was better for a while, but now it's pretty stinky again. I was told to brush everyday. I brush every other day.

If you are giving her chews, please make sure they are the vet aprroved C.E.T. chews. Yes, they are more $$ BUT they are treated with something that is very good for their teeth. In addition, there is a water additive that helps to. Dr. Bill Freeman of OSU turned me on to all of this.

Hope this helps.

http://shop.valuevetinc.com/index.cfm?page...ID=140073672011

I buy the large chews and the C.E.T aquadent rinse. They are vet approved.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project